Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
latino85

Password protect Folders or Files on WinXP PRO

PLEASE!!>!?!??!??!

ALL I WANT TO DO IS BE ABLE TO DOUBLE CLICK ON A FOLDER OR FILE AND HAVE IT ASK ME FOR A PASSWORD IN ORDER TO OPEN IT WHILE I AM LOGGED ON AS THE CPU ADMINISTRATOR OR GUEST OR ANY OTHER USER.

I AM USING WIN XP PRO EDTION, RUNNING NTFS HARD DRIVE, AND ARE CONNECTED ON A NETWORK ONLY TO SHARE MY HIGH SPEED CONNECTION.

CAN ANYBODY PLEEEEEEEEEASE TELL ME HOW TO DO WHAT I WANT TO DO????????

XP Pro's, or any NT based OS for that matter, permissions do not work this way.

Perhaps there is a 3rd party solution that can do this for you? I think PHP, but I never really investigated it, can and someone should be able to help you out in that regard.

As far as natively goes, you can set the ACL's so that only the user you want has access to that folder. In this manner, if you're logged on as that user you will have direct access to the folder, other users will not. If you are logged on as another user, you can right click on say internet explorer, choose runas and enter the proper credentials and then browse to that folder and have access. A bit more roundabout way of getting there however.

Hopefully someone will reply with some 3rd party solutions.

Zen sumed it up well.

I'll just add some URLs that either myself or my lackeys have used in the past ;-)

http://www.everstrike.com/

http://www.folder-password-expert.com/

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/7/14-7-78.shtml

You would think that family members would trust each other. Doing those SOHO jobs makes me think otherwise hehehe

EDIT Gotta love that, APK beat me to the response. Looks like more coffee needed wink

Straying just a bit off-topic if I may...

Back in January, I took advantage of a promotion that Authenex had going, and I really, really like one of their products.

This is an encryption product, called an A-Key. Basically, it's a USB hardware encryption dongle, but it also requires a password. It utilizes the AES encryption standard, which has been certified as the 3DES replacement, and in use by the NSA and NIST.

You can get a free A-Key and the ASafe software by completeing the registration form on the website.

Now I know the original post wasn't about encryption, but you know me, always trying to find the next best thing...

smile

Agrees with APK.

Interesting find there adam. *clicks URL*

**shameless mac plug** lol

I believe AES is the encryption used in the home directorties for os 10.3 (optional of course)

**end of plug** :P

okay wow im not a super genious like u guys but i know my share.... What the hell are the acl's, how do i access or even set them so that they can do the job nicely?????????????/

Also to comment on the straying off subject.... i was at CompUSA the other day and notice something that i think they called a USB KEY and i think it was the same thing the other guy was talking bout. But what i understand is that it makes it so that ur CPU will not work UNLESS it has this key plugged into the USB port, NO EXCEPTIONS.... is this right u guys?? how does this work?? is it worth it??

Hey as far as third party software goes man, what if somebody noticed that a CERTAIN (3rd party software) program was not letting them into seeing my files and just simply went to control panel, add/remove, and JUST DELETED THE PROGRAM?!?!?!?!

cause if it was that simple to deactivate, that would really suck, RIGHT GUYS??!?!?! .................... or am i just really ignorant LOL??

Oh and GOOD call, you really cant even trust ur own family these days guys hehehe, plus im just just a paranoid secure freak out the butt, i got a main boot password, windows welcome password, screen saver password, and now i want all my files or folders protected too???? wow i am paranoid huh?? please just look beyond that???

ANYWAY once again could somebody tell how to do what i wanna do??? I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE b/c IVE SEEN IT!!! remember back in high shcool and even at the library, they have some really great restriction software that cant even let u change the clock time?!?!?!?! i want security like that.....

Okokokok im done laugh