Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

VPN and accessing shares in my Network...

Hello there,

I am new to VPN so I have a question:

I need to make an VPN connection to VPN server computer which is located in my 'home' network. MS ISA Server computer (gateway) sends VPN requests to VPN Server and everything works fine. I am connected to my 'home' VPN computer and I am able to access its resources (shares, printers, remote desktop, ...)

My question is how can I access resources on other computers in this 'home' network - like shares on my working computer?

LAN is on 192.160.0.xxx

WAN adapter is on 192.168.1.1

VPN assigns IPs from 192.168.5.100-110

The remote computers from where I usually make VPN connections to my VPN computer is usually on 192.168.0.xxx.

I tried to change assiging IPs on VPN computer from 192.168.0.100-110, so it sometimes worked when I tried to VPN on it and access my home workstation which is on 192.168.0.5, but since two adapters really cant be on the same subnet I think this is bad idea and I am looking for beter solution. smile Thanks.

Oh and VPN computer is running Windows 2003 Standard as ISA server computer ('gateway') is.

Have a nice time,

From what I can gather from your environment, I would guess that your ISA server cannot route between your VPN server and the other servers on your home network (??)

If such is the case, adding a static route may help.

http://www.pacificnet.net/~bbruce/route_route_exe.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321516&product=isas

If I wasnt clear on something, ping us back smile

LOL

Good to see you to APK. My it has been sometime since I ventured into these forums. Phillip has done some tremendous work on the backend I see.

Where have I been .... designing and implementing platform migrations (Office 2003, Exchange 2003, Mac OS X 10.3, blah blah blah boring stuff laugh )On the better notes, I graduate college soon *Yes I am late bloomer lol* And I am looking for a more opportunistic place of employment.

?? Almost 6000 posts ?? Man, I was wondering why there were less phone calls coming into the help desk. Looks like everyone came here to ask you questions heheh smile

You doing good? Still into the Borland C stuff or has the darkside of vb.net taken you in :-P jk.

-----------------------

Dont wanna be the thread hi-jacker here. On another side note, if you dont want to add static routes to the ISA box, you could always multihome the vpn server into both subnets, rather dirty though.

If it is a routing issue, your could always do a ROUTE PRINT from the CMD of each interface and post them here so we can further help.

Doublechecking things: 192.160.x.x for an internal routable ip solution or was that a typo for 168.

Why not change the entire LAN addressing scheme to 192.168.5.X? How many personal nodes could there be smile ?

Thanks Alex and Adam. Its actually good to be back.

Quote:
He has - It's his OWN stuff here & I like and respect what he's done with it thusfar... needs a bit of work in the SEARCH function capacity imo, but other than that?

Agreed .... In house applications are always the pride of any IT team. Im sure you, Phil, and the other coders couldnt agree more wink

Quote:
(I'd say my success rate has dropped to around 30% in fact on fixes on many of them... they're crazy-tough @ times, especially the last 3-6 months or so now! Heh, maybe? I'm just getting old!)

Nah, no one is getting old .... just the technology. There are many variations of applications, directory implementations, user environments, and networking protocols. In my eyes, we have reached a certain point in IT. More people will need to be jack of all trades and less spe[censored]ts.

Hell, if I was interviewing candidates for network administration positions, in the environments that I participate in, I would rather have a guy who can do exchange, AD, Sharepoint, etc .... then a guy who can only do exchange. Even if he is a guru within the subject. Perhaps when I move into companies that have more nodes then stars in the sky, my view will change ...... END OF RANT LOL .... so no you aint getting old APK, there is just toooo much to keep up with smile I have issues remembering what attributes and objects are different between AD and OpenDirectory lol

Quote:
his entails what? Dual NICS, NAT client (not sure on this part but it COULD help right?),
** Nods ** For a home environment, he made it rather "complex". It should be a single vlan.

Whew, well that was a long one for me smile and yes my BS is almost complete .... ya know what they say about the light at the end of the tunnel.