Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

how to get application compatibilty modes on w2k sp4 (integrated)?

On Windows XP if you want to try and run older software you have the option of running the .exe under a compatibility mode (W95/98/NT4 etc..) The feature appears as a tab on the properties page of the exe. In 2000 this feature was installed with SP2 (if memory serves). I have a new installation of w2k that came with SP4 integrated and this feature does not seem to be installed. How can I get it back? Is there a dll I need to register or a separate download somewhere that MS has 'forgotten' to advertise?

smile

I've been toying with the idea of reverting back to Windows 2000 Professional at home, instead of Windows XP Professional.

Even though I have a fairly fast PC, I think that 2000 has a little less overhead vs. XP.

Sorry for the lack of replies (I know it's rude to leave a response unthanked).

Thanks for the link adam, although fool that I am I thought I remembered something similar myself from ages back (and a 5 min search in google confirmed this).

Anyhow thanks for your help.

Windows 2000 has worse hardware support than XP, also some companies refuse to give Windows 2000 the necessary support to give it something that XP has, eg. Hyper-Threading support. I am not going into some big argument about HT technology and the pros and cons, but tests prove that Windows 2000 with HT enabled is worse than with it disabled, but if you bought an HT processor wouldn't you want to use it?

Windows 2000 definately has full multi-processor support... Up to a maximum of 32 processors (IIRC) in Advanced Server.

The Professional version will support up to 2 processors.