Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Koba

Gentoo Linux?

Hi

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The CD-Rom mounted fine and I could see all the folders on it with ls. I then did: export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom". That generated no errors. Only when I tried emerge -usepkg kde or emerge -usepkg gnome did I get the above error.

There were many error messages at boot so I can't remember what they were exactly. They also flashed past very quickly but I got the impression that it was complaining about read-only files.

I think its my hard drive partitions with this problem not the CDRom. Of course, I could be wrong.

Koba

Man, GenToo ROCKS! it is by far the best linux distro that I have used (Being MCSE windows nerd), and from what other's say it is only surpassed by FreeBSD itself. The support is unreal at forums.gentoo.org as well. if you have any problems, people really help you out there.

I hope you enjoy the new install!

check out http://internal.digitalson.com that is the site my G2 box is hosting (amongst a few others)

Good news!

I have got Gentoo working. I was forced to format my windows partition and reinstall XP (it had become syware infested, adware ridden, virus infected useless pile of junk - which is almost good for Microsoft). Microsoft being the open-minded people they are didn't allow me to keep my Gentoo partitions ("too many partitions!" it complained) so I had to reinstall gentoo as well.

I reinstalled Gentoo exactly the same way except for leaving the noatime option for the root partition in fstab. So now it works! There are a few things I have noted though:

-Message at boot: "missing kernel or user mode driver hw-random"

-"You must set /etc/hostname to a valid hostname"

These messages haven't stopped me doing anything - they are just annoying. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

I have emerged the kde package though I have no idea what to do now. Can anyone point out where I should go to get a desktop environment?

Thanks

Koba

To fix the /etc/hostname I think you need to do:

Quote:
echo pic-a-hostname > /etc/hostname

I'm not sure about the other one though.

To start kde you will also need to install X.

Quote:
emerge -p xorg-x11

This should return:

Quote:
[ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2
If it shows [ebuild N] X is not installed. X should be installed since it a dependancy of KDE, so you should just need to configure X, the Desktop Setup Guide should help. This includes in formation on editing /etc/rc.conf to have kde work when you do "startx", it also has information on setting up ati or nvidia drivers, and login managers such as kdm. Please let me know if you need more help. Good Luck.

Ok...you guys were right all along.

Gentoo is for someone new to linux a VERY difficult distro to install. Of course, with persistence anything is possible. I can see Gentoo is what I will eventually be using (unless I find something better than Portage) but for now I'll leave it as a work in progress. In the meantime I really need a ready-to-run distro so I'm taking your advice and downloading MEPIS.

It simply makes no sense to install Gentoo now when in less than a months time I'll have a new laptop/desktop. At least I've learnt a LOT so far from my experiments with Gentoo:

-How to use fdisk

-How to perform a stage 3 install

-How to configure the Grub

-How to use the .profile script

-A little how X works

So now I'm downloading MEPIS. All I need is more CD-R's (linux distros keep swallowing up cds :x.

Koba