Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

IE Favorites: How to prevent hijacking

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a teak (or utility) that will prevent outside applications from adding links to my favorites? As an example, Netscape (which I unfortunately have to install for testing) adds useless AOL links into the favorites folder. ICQ is notorious for doing the same thing, etc.

I have tried making the folder read-only; it has zero effect, since it does not prevent anything from being added.

Thanks

Maybe you could restrict the NTFS permissions, and change your user account to a limited-user?

It would make it a pain to add favorites that you want though, unless you have something like a bookmarks.html file that you can manually update.

For other tasks that need Admin rights, you can always right-click and "Run As..."

smile

You'll want to set the favourites folder to have the permissions of read only.

Only leave yourself permission for "read & execute" and "list folder contents" and that should do it.

Actually, removing "list folder contents" is pretty cool as it creates a black hole.

Thanks, I have tried this but it does not work. The problem with permissions is that in order to install some software, you must do so with administrative rights, which immediately circumvents any restriction placed on the folder frown