Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndyFair

Windows File System (WinFS) TOO much for Microsoft to get out in 2006

This isn't really surprising, MS hasn't introduced a new file system since NTFS - which is now 10 years old.

It's had a couple of tries over the past few years, and always given up half way through:

OFS (Object Filing System from Cairo - IIRC, the code name for Win95?)

NSS (Network Storage Services, introduced in early Win2k betas, was withdrawn mid-beta)

EXIFS (Exchange Installable File System, also known as Drive M: on Exchange 2000 - which has been dropped in Exchange 2003)

There are parts of Windows that haven't changed since the inception of Win95 (OLE Doc-Object file formats, for one)

I think if MS were to drop WinFS it would be a great loss to Windows, and something which would have made all those vast stores of data that we all possess much more useable.

It seems to me that MS are concentrating on the icing before they've made the cake - all we've seen of Longhorn so far are the graphical changes, and not much about the changes "under the hood"

Just my opinion, though

AndyF

[EDIT]My mistake, EXIFS hasn't been dropped from Exchange2003, it's just been disabled. There's an interesting blog here from one of the Exchange developers about why they've disabled Drive M: [/EDIT]

im sure a while ago they were muttering something about 'take the filesystem out of yukon and shove it in longhorn'... then an Oracle guy said 'hell yea theoretically a database can be your OS' ..... now silence!

Saying that Sun have thier new filesystem in Solaris 10. So if they can do it why cant MS? wink

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
...Microsoft'll come thru, they usually do...

APK

But that's what I was trying to say in my post above: in terms of file system innovation, Microsoft haven't done anything since NTFS 10+ years ago. Every time they've tried, their plans have been shelved.

For Microsoft to offer any kind of incentive for people to upgrade from 2k/XP to Longhorn, they're going to have to do a major kernel rewrite from the ground up - it isn't going to be enough just to offer an enhanced 3D desktop - that's not enough for business users to upgrade, especially if it means that all of their desktops will have to contain 3D cards to work properly...

I think MS have realised how much work they have to do to get people to upgrade - there are still hoards of people out there running Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 that MS would prefer to have running the latest and greatest Microsoft operating system. I think they've suddenly realised that they can't just release a new version of Windows and expect that everyone will instantly rush to buy it - that's the whole point of capitalism, consumer choice!

Just my (very) humble opinion

AndyF

Quote:
I am sticking by 2000 until I see an OS that REALLY "blows-away" Windows 2000 w/ SP #4 on it!

Windows 2003 Server smile

i hate to *possibly* start a massive arguement here but it always seems that IBM, Sun, Oracle, SAP etc etc have the real nice stuff whereas MS almost play catchup.

For example our Websphere stuff is great! We have tested different setups and each time (in a business environment) if we leave out the MS stuff we end up with a better solution. This only applies to our backend stuff however.

At the desktop and for file & print (oh and email!) MS just seems the easiest way... especially where 'normal' users are concerned.

Hey im only 23 but ive removed my consumer blinkers and actually found out about other systems. Of course my workplace helps with the older stuff wink But theres a lot out there... its not just NT.

As mentioned MS will no doubt have something soon and im sure it will be great. Horses for course lads

8)

Quote:
On "have to do a major kernel rewrite from the ground up" I don't though - MS' NT-based Operating System is VERY solid & damn near bulletproof (drivers are about the ONLY thing that can floor it if they have problems, or any process running Ring 0 priority privelege level if it too has bugs)

Actually, it looks as though MS are doing a fairly major rewrite, and replacing the old Win32 APIs (at last!) with new APIs called WinFX. Take a look at this report and this report. It looks as though, rather than basing Longhorn on the XP codebase, it's actually being based on the Server2003 codebase!

Interesting, but I still think they're going to have major problems persuading users to upgrade, especially if, as reported, they will be offering Avalon (the GUI) back-ported to XP

Only time will tell.

AndyF

hey guys just reading the entire thread and I just want to say how good it is that we can all express our views without getting slated.

Alec- you know far too much and im jealous!!!

Andy -the above applies to you too!

hehe keep it up this is gr8 stuff.

Finally a decent forum that doesnt resort to constant flaming!

....I might still make the odd childish joke though.... Im sure thats allowed wink