Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
esalbright

Need for Speed High Stakes with ATI Radeon 9200

My previous video card was an ATI Radeon 7000. The game worked fine. Now with the 9200 installed it won't even start.

Any suggestions, tweaks?

Thank you,

Eric Albright

I guess the only things you can do are:

Update the graphic card drivers

Ensure directx is ok.

The drivers for your card are here:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-042-040803a-016701c.exe

For directx, click Start, Run then type in dxdiag

In the screen that should appear, on the Systen tab it will say "directx version". Current version is 9.0c.

Download it here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/0/d/80d7e79d-c0e4-415a-bcca-e229eafe2679/dxwebsetup.exe

You can also test your direct draw here too.

I see that there are quite a few forums around with posts similar to yours. Apparently:

"Download the NFS High Stakes 4.50 patch and install it after freshly installing the game to your hardrive.

Once the patch is installed go to the 3D Device Setup option for the game in it's subfolder from the Start Menu. Select Direct 3D Device 1 or primary Display Driver (this varies depending on your system).

Once you have selected the device, go to NFSWorld and download a file from their NFS4 Utils Page called nfspatch10. This is a .dll file update taken from Porsche Unleashed that utilizes your video card better.

Run nfspatch10.exe and deselect the NFS4 .dll file (you will see two files already selected, only the NFS5 .dll should be checkmarked).

Follow through with the installation procedure (keep the nfspatch10.exe file, as you can always install the old .dll file in case of trouble).

Now go back to the 3D Device Setup and select Direct 3D Device 1 again (even if it is already checked - this resets the game video). Run the game and enjoy.

Not all users have to install the new .dll file. For some lucky few the 4.50 patch does it alone.

Finally, if you are experienceing rediculously slow game performance, go to the Need For Speed High Stakes exe file that you select from Windows' Start Menu to run the game and right click on it. Go to Properties and from there to the Compatability tab. Ensure that the compatability mode is NOT SELECTED! For some strange reason this was set as default when I first installed the game. It SHOULD NOT BE! When this is deselected the game should run as smooth as anything."

These files are available at www.nd4spdworld.com

Of course I have no experience with NFS however ppl say this works! Good luck smile

Does anybody know why N4S High Stakes becomes slower after driving few laps? The problem is noticable on win xp and on win 98.Can someone tell me if there is a fix for that problem.Thanks.

I have done all of the above. I am attempting to run the game on a Windows 98 system because I had no luck in XP. After installing the 4.50 patch the game would not start (screen would go blank then return to desktop). After installing NFSPatch10 an error message pops up every time; "A required DLL was not found (D3da.dll)". Any ideas? That .dll file is in the NFS directory.