Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Godric

How do you install mandrake 10.0 from DOS.

How do you install mandrake 10.0 from dos without using a floppy disk or booting from CD-ROM when you startup. My CD-ROM drive is e: and it's a laptop.

Please help me!

Your depressed junior linux installer,

Godric

Perhaps you can explain more on what you are trying to do.

You don't install Mandrake from DOS. Mandrake is it's own operating system independent from dos or windows.

Any reason why you don't want to install from a CD? This is the preferred way to install Mandrake.

More importantly, what laptop do you have. Give some specs. on your system; memory installed, hard drive size and processor speed.

Speaking of "dos" tends to make me believe that your system may not support Mandrake?

It's a dell latitude XCDi, used to run windws 95, but my brother was dumb enough not to back up the system before trying to install windows xp. It can't boot from cd ( I know, I checked the BIOS), and unless I boot from a floppy that my aunt gave me, I don't have cd-rom support. That floppy boots to dos. So my delema is, how do you install mandrake 10.0 from dos. What file is it that starts up the installation. red hat 6.0 is

[cdrom drive letter):\ezstart.bat

debian 2.0 is

[cdrom drive letter):\install\boot.bat,

so what's the file that starts install for mandrake 10.0?

I have to give credit where it is due. Look at this post. 10mhz gives a short how-to on how to do this. Rawrite comes in a dos flavor and should be on the Mandrake install disk, under dosutils.

However, is this system a Latitude XPiCD? If so, how much ram is in the system? This may be an issue, as Mandrake 10 recommends the following hardware;

Processor: an x586-class or above processor is required. This includes Intel Pentium I/II/III/IV, AMD K6/II/III, AMD Duron, AMD Athlon/XP/MP. SMP multi-processor machines are supported. (*)

Memory: at least 64 MB is required (32 MB for text-install); 128 MB or more is recommended.

Hard disks: IDE and SCSI hard disks are supported.

Hard disk size: At least 500MB is required, 1GB is recommended.