Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mel

NTFS and linux

NTFS and linux

Just commenting here.

I've read posts that indicate others have had the

same problem I've had reading NTFS files with linux.

I COPY the files I want to w*n 98 where linux can

easily read and Copy them.

( The key word here is "COPY" since 98 uses fat32 and

a file "moved" to or from a fat32 partition has a chance

of ending up in 'never never' land.( Where you'll 'never never'

find it again.))

Mel

Hi Mel,

Glad to see you again smile

The problem with Linux and NTFS isn't the read but rather the write portion of the equation. I haven't seen any problems with read and copy of NTFS to a linux volume, but, you should have a fat32 volume for any transfer back to window$.

Incidently, Have you tried the latest Mepis? I know we had talked about a while ago. You also might enjoy stopping over at http://mepislovers.com . I'm usually there.

Hi ,Jim

Good to be back.

I see I did say copy.Should have said "read and write".

I read some posts that have my interest on MEPIS.

I'm on slowwire now but will be at my daughter house

tommorrow morning to DL the new MEPIS distro.

I only stopped using MEPIS because the installer I had

wanted to take over the whole HD.

I like all the linux distros I've tried.I think Mepis is

the best for first time immigrants from that other OS.It

can be easily navigated by refugees from other desktop

systems.Even MDK10,which I love,can be confusing to noobees.

How does the new Mepis kernal handle SIS stuff ? That was

my only real problem with the old version I have.

I don't think the SIS chipset should be a problem. As for the rest read my post on mepislovers.

hey guys i just wanted to pop in i havent had any issues whatsover in with linux and ntfs

live cds or installs

ive done it mostly with my hp and that was the only feature that worked it took some tweaking but i edited the ntfs partition accessed changed files etc. good tips though so far i really didnt do anything special but play round with the partitions

Originally posted by SoulNothing:

Quote:
hey guys i just wanted to pop in i havent had any issues whatsover in with linux and ntfs

live cds or installs

ive done it mostly with my hp and that was the only feature that worked it took some tweaking but i edited the ntfs partition accessed changed files etc. good tips though so far i really didnt do anything special but play round with the partitions

No, we were talking about read/write of files on the NTFS volume from Linux. Read is fine, but write support is a very iffy proposition with a better than excelent chance of corrupting the volume or at very least the file. Write support is very experemental and may never be reliable. That's why a fat32 transfer volume is recomended.

The seperate issue of resizing NTSF volumes has been covered in other threads. You may have sucess when resizing with qparted... then again, I wouldn't do it... ;-)

sorry i didnt word it correctly i was in the middle of computer class

anyhow writing seemed to work fine depends on what kernel i found overall that it was good example one time i copied a file that was misplaced by the linux install and moved it back over because windows didnt boot and it worked fine it seemed to work better in the 2.6 kernel than 2.4

overall i would use a fat 32 volume but honestly the only time i got any corrupted files was when i installed core 2 on my hp

i moved a 7.2 media folder from my linux partition to ntfs and fat32 without problem more often than not it worked out just fine for me i guess it just depends