Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

New Intel 915 and 925 Chipsets and Power Supply!!!!

Hey guys

We have just assembled some 915G chipset motherboard (Intel D915GAV) and at the first sight I noticed a different connection for the power supply. Of course I don't have any "new" type power supplies. So I hooked up a normal p4 power supply to it and it worked!!! But on some of the systems the x300 video cards were mysteriously "BLOWN UP". They literally caught on fire! After changing the video card and power supply the entire system works fine again!!!

Here is the deal: when the problem happens the system fans stop working (all of them) and the system power indicator stays on (looks like a voltage problem with 12V), screen goes black (or won’t POST) and then the video card catches on fire!!!

I have no experience setting these systems up (first timer with 915/925 chipsets). Has anybody experienced such problems before? Is there a new type power supply in the market that I could buy (I mean in Ontario, Canada)?

Here are the system specs:

- Intel D915GAV Motherboard (works without any problems with onboard video card)

- Standard ATX P4 power supply 350W

- Intel LGA 3.0 P4 CPU + Cooler master CPU coolers

- PowerColor X300 PCI Express 16X Video card

- SATA HDD

- IDE CDRW or DVD-Rom or DVD-RW Drive

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, tips, and information.

Ali E.

I'm not up to date with the new motherboards, but maybe 350 Watts isn't enough for the 915G motherboard and X300 video card set-up.

Hi Ali!& others

I think u r the only guy who can help me in this deep trouble. I have got the similar problem with intel 915.I recently got a pc assemled with Intel 915GAV motherboard with intel p4 2.8Ghz HT processor. After few days of working, the scren display went out.The problem was similar to what you explained as "when the problem happens the system fans stop working (all of them) and the system power indicator stays on (looks like a voltage problem with 12V), screen goes black (or won’t POST) and then the video card catches on fire!!!"

Except the card didnt catch fire! but the inbuilt videocard did blew up.

Then i got my motherboard replaced after few days!.(with a lot of trouble)

Now i have got another replaced motherboard & im using it but im really worried how long it is going to work!.

please tell me what kind of precautions i shud take!

I m using the normal power supply(which are used for other p4s).

pssst:::Please please help.

What are all the changes you did so that the pc is now working properly???

hope to see a reply from you.

you can also reply to my email id: catchamitpal@gmail.com

Waiting eagerly for ur reply(desperately)

Regards,

Amitpal

Here's what the Intel manual has to say about power supply connectors for the 915GAV-board:

---

2.8.2.2 Power Supply Connectors

The board has three power supply connectors:

• Main power – a 2 x 12 connector. This connector is compatible with 2 x 10 connectors

previously used on Intel Desktop boards. The board supports the use of ATX12V power

supplies with either 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 main power cables. When using a power supply with a

2 x 10 main power cable, attach that cable on the rightmost pins of the main power connector,

leaving pins 11, 12, 23, and 24 unconnected.

• ATX12V power – a 2 x 2 connector. This connector provides power directly to the processor

voltage regulator and must always be used. Failure to do so will prevent the board from

booting.

• Alternate power – a 1 x 4 connector. This connector provides additional power when using

high wattage PCI Express x16 graphics cards.

- INTEGRATOR’S NOTE

When using high wattage PCI Express x16 graphics cards, use one of the following power supply

configurations to avoid system instability:

• The preferred method of power delivery is to use a power supply with a 2 x 12 main power

cable. In this configuration, use two connectors to provide power to the board:

- The main power connector

- The ATX12V connector

In this configuration, the alternate power connector is not required. The 2 x 12 main power

cable can provide up to 144 W of power from the +12 V rail.

• An alternate method of power delivery is to use a power supply has a 2 x 10 main power cable.

In this configuration, use three connectors to provide power to the board:

- The main power connector

- The ATX12V connector

- The alternate power connector

---

There is also a section of the manual about how much power you need from the power supply. From what I can tell, 350 Watts should be enough. (If the power supply really is good for the 350 Watts.)

Did the error occur during high load or idle?

Have about same problem with two new Intel D915GAV mb's.

Can not install Graphic driver in Device Manager XP Pro.

Can't find anything on Intel link, but downloaded new bios,

v.0401.. going to try that but don't think problem..

I'm using the on-board Graphic video only..

I thought I had trashed a Princeton LCD-1700

monitor (Screen went from Bright white to BLACK), but put on another System, and it is ok..

Using the 915g with an old CRT monitor, and seems ok for now!

When I install the drivers from the Intel CD,,

have the yellow Question Mark in Device manager for

2(two) items on one computer, and one item on second system..

Did anyone else have this problem?

thanks for any input..

csmith

btw. using Antec SL350 watt 10pin p/s with the 4pin plug for cpu.

You are going to want at least a 430W power supply, and it WILL need the 24-Pin connector ........ Also if you are using a PCI-X Vid Card, make sure that you plug in the 4Pin molex on the mobo, near the back plane ........ Also you will want to use a connector that is on it's own Rail .......... Currently the Intel groups responsible for providing Trade show PC's for Employees are using the:

Vantec VAN-520A

520 Watt Power supply.

This is a known issue with the systems cooking themselves.

Hope this helps yer problem.