Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
John N.

USB support? NT 4 and Toshiba E400 hand held computer

My son just received a Toshiba E400 hand held as a graduation present from family members a long ways from home, but I think he's at a deadend for using it at home.

The installation CD says that NT 4.0 is compatible with this device, however, NT 4 does not support USB, which this device is. I have an older Gateway G6 400 with 2 USB slots that support relic keyboards, so we plugged into there to see what would happen. The setup CD could recognize that the COM port was active but that USB was not supported. I phoned Toshiba today to ask why their documentation stated that NT 4 was supported. The service person was puzzled but came back after some enquiries from his superiors why this was. The answer was that even though NT doesn't support USB, the programs found on NT will work with the E400. Now doesn't that make a lot of sense!

My solution(or so I thought) was to get a serial/USB adapter. Well, they only make those in one flavour: from a USB port on a computer to some peripheral serial device--not the other way around! The other solution is to get a newer computer and newer operating system, neither of which I am prepared to do ($$$) for my son to mainly download MP3 files.

If there is another solution out there, I'm willing to hear it.

By the way, ever read "Catch - 22?"

Thanks.

As you already noticed there´s no native support for USB-devices whatsoever under NT4. However there are som third-party drivers availible "out there" that may help you out. Go ahead and download this driver set:http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/R62200.exe If you´re lucky active sync will be able to recognice the device over USB.

H.T.H