Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wingtong

xp client + nt4 domain server = slow initial access to mapped drives

I have just added 2 new XP clients to our winnt4 domain server (with both winnt4 and win2000 servers on network). All previous clients are win2000. The 2 new XP clients seem to take 15-20 seconds when accessing mapped drives (to winnt4 and win2000 server drives) for the first time after logon. I noticed if I tried to activate Windows Explorer right after logging in and accessing one of those mapped drives, I can get in relatively quick, but hitting the "back" button will freeze that window (have to Task Manager out of it), then all other mapped drives are still slow to get into the first time. After getting into them the first time, however, subsequent access is fine.

I've already tried (without success):

- GPEDIT.MSC Local Computer Policy-> Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Logon -> "Always wait for the network @ computer startup and logon" (enable)

- GPEDIT.MSC Local Computer Policy-> Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Scripts-> "Run logon scripts sychronously" (enable)

- Run NetBIOS over TCP/IP

...any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you using WINS in your environment? Have you configured that on the XP clients?

Is your domain NT4, 2000 w/o AD, or 2000 w/ AD in mixed mode?

Not using WINS nor AD. Just a simple NT4 PDC and BDC with 2 win2000 DNS's. Again, all win2000 clients work fine, just these 2 new winXPs.

In case this might help, we also have 3 Network Attached Storage devices on the network that the winXP clients do NOT have a problem with initial access to drives mapped to those NAS devices. The NAS devices include an HP Surestore 4000 (OS ??), SNAP/Quantum Server 2200 (OS = linux???), and a Dell Powervault 725N (OS = Windows2000Powered "Powered" version customized for NAS systems)

...also, if the xp's are left alone for awhile (or at least over night) without shutting down, the slow initial access to those mapped network drives occurs again.

Are you using mostly DHCP for client IP addresses? How about NetBIOS? The SNAP server that I have at work wants to be the "master" browser, so perhaps that is causing an issue?

Do you have any VLANS or different subnets/routing that's non-standard?

...thanks for the reply, there is still hope! Probably 95% of clients are DHCP and all servers are Static. Most clients are set with NetBIOS over TCP/IP including the 2 new XPs. SNAP server does try to be master browser so can I try disabling that without causing other potential problems? I don't think we have any VLANs (I don't really know what that is) and our subnet was set to 255.255.0.0 by our original network consultant which I was subsequently told was not standard but left it since it still worked fine for the past 7-8 years for winnt4 win9x and win2000 clients...I hope I won't have to change this to resolve the problem since this will likely have consequences...but I'll try anything since anything is better than being up against the wall...

...ok, so now I am told that the problem is most likely caused by our network not conforming to standard IP addressing. Our range of IPs are 205.133... which is a public range while our subnet is 255.255.0.0 which is private (don't blame me, some consultants set it up that way back in 1997ish). In any case, I tested it by setting 2 computers (1=xp 1=win2000) where the xp had the problem of slow initial connection to the win2000, changed the IPs on both machine to a 172.16... range and the XP connnected just fine (probably can still use more testing). Aparently winXP is alot more strict on IP usage and what seems to happen is that the XP tends to check public IPs on the internet for the machines first before going to our internal network and therein lies the delay (theoretically).

Anyhow, short of redefining all our systems IP numbers (alot of static ip's), does anyone have any suggestions on a workaround to force the XPs to look only in our internal network and not try to go to the internet? I've already tried the following without any success:

- map drives using IP numbers (ie. \\205.133.xxx.xxx\shared)

- set IP in HOSTS file

Ah ha! I suspected it was a routing issue... What I would do would be deny routing of the 205.x.x.x addresses externally on either your perimeter routers or firewalls.

Thanks for that little "tid-bit" of information, I think it was the missing link!

Of course the more proper solution would be to change your IP address scheme, but that could take time and downtime depending on how large your infastructure is.

Anyway, hope that helps, let me know if you need any more information.

smile

PS: RFC 1918 is a great guide!

...flash! I had my "boys" passing the word around and one came back with a list of things to try which I wasn't going to try since I was almost resigned to the fact that the problem lies in the IP range, etc. But I tried it anyhow. Turns out there's a new setting in Services called "WebClient". Turned that snot off, rebooted, and now I am free to access mapped drives without any slowdown! I don't know what WebClient does but maybe it still has a connection to how the IP ranges behave?