Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

.bkf microsoft backup files...

I usually run a backup of my sistem and dump it onto one of my backup drives. I've been using microsofts built in backup program.

Anyways, I've recently loss some files which are in this backup file. I'm a bit confused thou... how do I extract the files? If I double click on the file and attempt to restore files and settings I get a file called "file" that is grayed out in the items to restore column. When I try to re browse for the file it says it contains unreconizable data that cannot be restored?

WTF is that all about?

All that data should be there... the file is 103,596,659,712 bytes large. I would love to get those files back...

Any idea what I should do?

I dont know what is wrong but the 100 gig file simply will not operate. When I try to mount the file in the backup program it says that there is no information contained in the file... but there clearly is since it is over 100 gigs! I think I remember it asking me to insert a floppy disc at the end of the backup process which I didnt do... could that have messed everythign up? Is there no way to get the files back?

I read online that if you backed up information and then installed windows with a different product key, it will not work.

This is what happened to me. I had a windows xp cd from a while back but lost it when I was going to reformat after a lan party. I ended up getting a full academic version from my college and just installed that. Now I cant get to the files! Is there anything I can do?