Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
atcskyfox

Which linux distro?

I am thinking about running dual boot WinXP Pro/Linux on my current system: AMD 2800XP 200x11, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1GB XMS PC3500 RAM, 120gb WD1200JB, ATI 9700 PRO. Which Linux Distro would be best for this system? I have just recently installed Red Hat (I believe 8.0 a 3 cd set) I got from a friend. However, I am unable to get the network card to work and connect to the internet with it. Is their a better distro to use? I would really like to try linux. Thanks!

Fedora Core 1 or Mepis RC3. Both have very good hardware detection and set up utilities. What is the card you are trying to configure?

Actually it is the Nforce 2 motherboard. I use the Nvidia NIC that is built in however it will not detect in network config. console in Red Hat.

This is a common problem with this board. RedHat 8 is too old to work with the nForce chipset on the motherboard. I would suggest Trying Fedora, or Mepis first, as Dapper Dan suggested.

I'm not sure if nvidia has drivers for this version of RedHat, but I will check.

It has been also noted that the bios in this board does not allow you to turn off sata raid, which may be another issue.

i had the same issue when i first started think it might be the same mobo

thing is fedora is kernel 2.4.x

and the nforce nic isnt supported reguarly until kernel 2.6

so your options are

upgrade to fedora core 2 just download and install

install the nforce driveres (note i had issues so im sure someone else could help more so with the installation) this is a link should be the right one http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0283.html

last but not least upgrade kernel

my recommonadtion try doing the driver give you some idea of how to install stuff

or just upgrade to core 2 but that means more discs to burn and more download time

hope that helps and core is a great choice

Be careful of Mandrake 10. If XP is the only OS and you install Mandrake 10 next to it, the XP partition (if it is NTFS) may get altered. If you do install Mandrake 10, I suggest not using the Mandrake partitionigng utility, but to partition the drive ahead of time (to make space for Mandrake) using a utility like PartitionMagic.

whoops,

the best setup would be a via based mobo with a nvidia 3d card.

nforce is a pain right now... be ready for the "freeze"

ati's support is a joke.

I really appreciate all the help for this newb.

Ok guess I will narrow down between Fedora Core 2 (which I believe is redhat) and Mandrake 10. Which should I invest my time with? And, I will try a dual boot system with Win XP PRO. I was planning on partitioning by 120gb drive with the first partition 30gb (Win XP/Programs/Games) then 10gb (Linux) and then 80gb (Storage mp3s cd images etc) can the storage partition be shared between WinXP and Linux? Thanks!!

I am on Fedora download page and see two types of I386 downloads. One is i386.srpms.iso and the other is i386-disc1.iso which would I download?

atcskyfox: you need the i386-discX.iso files first. make sure to check the

md5sums of the downloads before you burn them.

you only need the srpms.iso files (srpm == Source RPM) if you're planning

to work with the source code of all of the Fedora software.

the plan for partitioning looks fine to me.. can't use NTFS on the 'shared' filesystem,

you'll need to use FAT32 and be aware you can't make filesystem links.

distro choice can be very personal and not always completely based on logic wink

I'd rather not get into recommending one or the other. However, I will note

it seems to me more people have run into trouble setting up fresh with Mandrake 10

than Fedora. 'course you might consider SuSE... (your call, though)

ne quick thing though before you start make a backup a few becuase there have been known to been complications or conflictions between xp and core 2 dual boot

while core 2 is great there might be a bit of work to get it to work with xp anything else you need just ask around

Looks like the main three for distros are Fedora/Mandrake/Suse

Based upon some research it looks like Mandrake/Suse are more newb friendly. Seeing how this is my first attempt with linux that may be the way to go. Leaning towards Suse since it seems to be more current than the Mandrake 10 version. Any suggestions would be great! Since I am planning on downloading the ISO's tonight for the one distro chosen.

Anyone know where I can download the ISO's for SUSE LINUX Professional 9.1? There is only the personal edition on their website. Thanks.

what i do is have a stack of 10 drives for the system and then

each drive has a separate os. If you want to run fedora/mandrake/slackware/debian/gentoo/suse you just

power off switch the drive and power on.

All the headaches of partitioning/booting and junk like that go away.

Also, you should make a separate / partition and a separate /home

so if you just want to upgrade from mandrake 9.2 to 10.0 you don't have to backup /home with all you data files ( just remember to not format /home ) you can just upgrade the os and run with the new one with your files you want to save.

In you case, I think suse is better because it has a dvd and you just pop it in pick what you want and you can walk away ( no cd swapping ). Suse has almost everything I need on that dvd. Also, Suse still has the best package adding/searching gui so when you just want to install something you sorta remember the name of it will be easy.

A couple of times you may go back to windumb but when you come back because you miss linux only then you are a jedi.

Looks like I am leaning towards Suse for its package adding feature. However, I can only find the ISO for the personal version which runs off the cd. How can I get the professional version ISO which I can download and burn the install discs?

SuSe Professional is only available as a 'paid for' version.

I've been watching this thread, and, I am confused by your choices. The most experienced people Like Dapper Dan and danleff give you their best advise, but you totaly ignore them... Gotta go with the most hiped distro??? Go figure...

If you want a distro that is something more than a bootable CD , has really good packaging management, and, is likely to give you a good first time user experience, then, I strongly advise you to try the new SimplyMepis 2004 final that has just come on the public mirrors. It's not for nothing that Mepis ranks #3 for this month on Distrowatch...

Oh well, you're the one who has to live with his decision wink

Not that I am ignoring everyone's advise. There are tons of distro's out there. Seems like everyone is pointing to Fedora or Mepis. Ha...more confused than ever.

before you make your decision, have a look here at the Mepis distro site.

the choice of SuSE personal vs. professional means whether or not things like

gcc (GNU C Compiler) are included without any additional steps.

are you intending to have a Win98-type web surfing system for your use?

or a software development and/or LAN server system?

if the former, then LiveCDs and 'personal' distro versions will certainly provide

the means to further your education.

if you need an analogy: fitting you with a distribution is like fitting you

with a shoe. The choice of shoe depends on what you intend to do with it.

based on your analogy I am looking for a shoe that is friendly to install and run on my hard drive and will educate me regarding linux since I have a spare computer at home which I would like to turn into a server in the future

Don't worry about the newest and best...

Look at the distros that may fit your needs. Read reviews, or visit distrowatch.com to look at what is out there.

Suse Pro 9.1 costs now, but earlier versions can be gotten cheap. See here for example, if you don't want to download free versions - ie: don't have a fast internet connection. Note that Suse 9.1 Pro costs.

Since you want to share files between XP and Linux, I suggest the following to avoid the XP/kernel 2.6 issue (Fedora Core 1 or 2, Mandrake 10).

Get ahold of a partitoning utility, like PartitonMagic. Make a fat32 partition right after your XP NTFS partition to use to share your MP3's and such, at a size that fits your needs to share. This avoids the issue with XP next to the newest Linux distros using the new kernel.

Allow the rest of the drive space left, or what you wish to allocate to Linux to be unformatted.

Allow your new chosen distro to use the unformatted space to install onto.

Get comfortable with your distro without adding a bunch of apps to your original install.

Then decide if you need to make any changes on how things are set up (various partition setups with Linux) and come back and ask us.

For now, don't get too hung up on formatting the drive (how many linux partitions - root/home/etc..). This can be confusing to a new Linux user.

Keep it basic..then decide if you need any changes on how things are set up.

Originally posted by martouf:

Quote:
before you make your decision, have a look here at the Mepis distro site.

the choice of SuSE personal vs. professional means whether or not things like

gcc (GNU C Compiler) are included without any additional steps.

This is very dependent on whether or not you have broadband. With broadband, aquiring whatever apps/tools is very fast and easy. If you have 0nly 56k then it's an issue and you need the files on CD. MepisPro will be coming out soon with that option, but I've found it just as easy to get the apps from the Debian repository.

Quote:
are you intending to have a Win98-type web surfing system for your use?

or a software development and/or LAN server system?

if the former, then LiveCDs and 'personal' distro versions will certainly provide

the means to further your education.

We have people who are running Mepis/Debian for everything from a straight desktop to a pure server. It's all how you want to set it up.

Quote:

If you know the purpose up front, that may be true, but, starting with a vague idea... well???

Quote:

[tt]If you know the purpose up front, that may be true, but, starting with a vague idea... well???[/tt]

you sure you want to go feed the goats in those shoes? 8)