Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tevia

installing applications

I'm new to linux from windows and am clueless about how to set up applications. I've installed Mandrake 10.01 (I think!). I'm visually impaired and use a screen magnifier called zoomtext for windows. I've downloaded a number of magnifiers for linux - gnopernicus, k-mag, k-zoom and unwindows - but have no ides how to install them. I'm no computer boff either so someone please explain in simple english.

First, what desktop environment are you using, KDE or Gnome?

I can speak for KDE. While I am not sight impaired, KDE has a variety of aides in Mandrake.

Recently, there has been work on the K-Mag project. A package is being developed for KDE called kdeaccessibility.

It is apparently still in development, but is available as what Linux calls source. A bit difficult to install, but it looks good. I just installed it on my Mandrake system and used kmag.

A good place to read up on it is at THIS LINK.

Sorry for the small text, I don quite know how to enlarge the fonts yet on the forum.

If you want to give it a try, let me know and I will try to walk you through it, or suggest other options.

By the way, what packages did you download already, RPM files or BZ extension files?