Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JodithPWorld

Password Protecting a Folder in Windows NT 4.0

I hope you folks can help.

I have a Windows 2000 Professional PC (SP4) connecting to a Windows NT 4.0 workgroup Server (no domain.) I log in as Jody on my workstation (with admin rights), and my server has a Jody account with admin rights. No problem. I

can see the NT shares.

But one share called "Zips" I only want to access that as a password protected share (similar to share access level in Win98). So I made a "Zips" user in NT and in 2000. I assigned the admin rights to Admin and Zips in NT, and gave full access to Zips in 2000. However I cannot make a logon box come up to attach to it. When I try to add access in 2000, it says:

"This set of credentials conflicts with an existing set of credentials"

What I want to do is log in to the network as Jody, yet attach to the zips folder as another user in the same login.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

Best practice for share-level access control is to utilize NTFS file/folder level permissions vs. password protections.

Is it feasible to assign the appropriate NTFS permissions vs. password protecting your share?

Well it is feasible, and that's what I did do. Mind you, from my Win2K workstation, that would mean I have to log out of Jody, log in as an alternate user, and then access those files.

What I would like to achieve is this: be logged in as Jody (stay logged in as Jody), click on a "forbidden" share, and be prompted for my uname/pwd credentials. Is that possible within my current configuration? In other words, attach to a share as another user from my login?

Cheers,

Jody Thornton

That is possible, but only if you connect via a mapped drive and specify the alternate username/password when establishing the connection.

Well, that is what I'm attempting. However, I'm not provided a chance to log in.

I tried issuing a NET USE command to map as another user but I get an error "1219: The credentials you are using conflict with another set of credentials". I found this means that since I've already connected to Windows NT as another user, it won't let me connect as a second user simultaneously. Apparently Microsoft did this by design.

The only way I can accomplish this apparently is using a NET USE command and referring to the IP addy of the Windows NT machine, rather than the machine name. But I'm using NetBEUI between the two machines, so that NT is not routable to the Internet, which is the way I want it to stay.

So is there another option? Help??? LOL!

Cheers,

Jody