Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wd041

can i increase computers.............

i have configure a DHCP enabled window2003 server.

Its working well.

The range of the scope is maximum(192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254)

and all addresses are utilized by devices .

Now the problem is that the user or devices are increased

and i have to assign them addresses by DHCP.

Now what i have to do solve this problem.

wd041

Do you understand subnetting? Do you understand what the subnetmask is for when configuring a network interface? If not, then I suggest you talk with a local expert about this. Changing the IP address or subnet mask on your functioning server could render it inoperable for a bit... wink

You state the scope is maximum - this shouldn't be entirely true, since your server should have a static IP, and the scope should exclude that IP address. When I configure a DHCP scope, I will typically start the scope a bit higher than the server's IP to allow for other static devices, such as routers, print servers, and the like, which should also have static IP's. I also typically put the static devices in the lower end of the IP range. This is personal preference, you can do it any way you want, there aren't many hard & fast rules about how to configure a network.

Otherwise, if you care to try this, you do so at your own risk.

I'm assuming you understand the basics of changing network properties on the server...I'm also assuming your server resides at 192.168.0.1, your server is DHCP'ing IP's from 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254, and your server's subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. This subnet mask allows the following:

Network address: 192.168.0.0

IP address range: 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.0.254

Broadcast address: 192.168.0.255

I'm also assuming you know how to change the scope size after you change the network properties.

Open the network card properties. Double-click the TCP/IP setting in that window. In the first section, where the IP address is, change the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0. This will double the range of available IP addresses, and should allow you to increase the scope size. After this change:

Network address: 192.168.0.0

IP address range: 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.1.254

Broadcast address: 192.168.1.255

Click OK. You then need to increase the scope size in the DHCP management console accordingly.

You don't mention anything about other settings on the server. Are you running DNS or Active Directory? Do your workstations use this server as a DNS server? Do you understand these questions? I'm not trying to be rude - it's just that someone who has to ask about how to increase the available IP addresses in a network (subnet masking) probably doesn't understand DNS and AD entirely. Let me know how you do!

James S. Mitchell, CCNA, MCP

jmitchel@itexas.net