Sign in to follow this  
jimf43

Kernel 2.6.8.1 & Reiserfs

Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
Originally posted by trondare:

Quote:
Reiserfs is not broken in 2.6.8.1.

I see nothing about this in the kernel mailing lists, forums, kerneltrap, slashdot or anywhere else. I'm using 2.6.8.1-ck1 and reiserfs myself, so how can you say it's broken?

Are you stupid, a troll, or just asking to be flamed?

M'kay. Quick thinking there. I am sure he isn't stupid, mainly because I see no indication of ReiserFS(v3.5/6) problems in the LKML (which there would be).

I myself have seen reiserfs 3.5/6 literally yank out the top level tree upon a reboot. Just becuase I changed kernels. Whereas these 2 kernels have been installed and swapped regular like.

Just because he is challenging your *GLOBAL* announcement the Reiserfs is broken on your machine, therefore it must be broken everywhere, is no reason to give him the STFU TROLL regimen.

Just to give you a clue I had a 3TB array on ReiserFS v3.6 recently "lose" its tree. Was sitting there serving files all fine, when all of a sudden, nearly EVERYTHING was gone.

Brought the spare machine up. Made a 3TB array available to the machine, mkfs.xfs (I wanted to it in production before, but had little chance) as I had tested it and gotten better utilization and performance. Restored. Returned to service in about 30 minutes, with the restore going as the people were using it. Sometimes waiting for files to show up.

The original machine, I ended up trying to fsck it, no good, even some expensive proprietary tools I have couldn't do a thing with it. I ended up having all files under lost+found. Yes, at least I could get to some of them... but the point is: If you aren't prepared for amykind of disaster, you aren't worth keeping around.

Have fun.

I have a Gentoo server running 2.6.8 on reiserfs 3.6 and have had no issues with it...

(Synopsis: Problem is occuring on ext3 partitions)

Hey all,

Don't know if this is related or not, but on Friday I upgraded my debian box from a 2.4.25 kernel to a 2.6.8-smp kernel. The former was compiled by me (had to enable the 4GB memory), the latter was installed straight up with the vannilla debian kernel package (binary, smp).

Yesterday morning, the system detected errors in the disk and remounted it read-only, and is now giving read errors all over the place.. however, both partitions are _EXT3_ format, and someone was asking if this happened with such a disk format. The drives are a hardware-mirrored container of two MAXTOR 73GB drives.

I believe someone else mentioned upgrading from a 2.4 kernel before having this problem; perhaps this is relevant? Is there an official location where known bugs/symptoms/causes/fixes/etc will be posted as this problem is catagorized?

Many thanks;

G

While I don't think it's relevant, for the sake of full disclosure (you never know when someone else is going to say 'Hey, I did that too!'), after installing the new kernel (and checking that it worked), I also installed a new raid container of 3 new fujitsu drives, but they haven't been mounted yet anyway.. so like I said, I doubt it's relevant.