Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farmerphil

Server Manager WinNT4

Hello,

I am a little confused about this problem, and would really appreciate some help PLEASE

I admin a small network of 30 clients mostly win2k and a couple of win98 machines, the network includes 3 NT4 servers one PDC, one BDC and a Member server, I have setup a wins server on the PDC and on the BDC and setup replication which seems to be working OK, I have pointed both the PDC and BDC at them selves for wins resolutions as per Microsofts knowledge base. All the clients are setup to use a primary and secondary wins servers through DHCP I have confirmed this by the ipconfig /all command on the client machines. OK heres the problem

When I go to the "server manager" on both the PDC or BDC it is diplaying all client machines part of the domain, greyed out or being offline, but double clicking on the machine/s in question they are clearly online and display current shares etc. what is going on??? also when browsing the network from clients or server computers, displays only a small number of computers on the network. But the really weird thing thankfully is that everybody can logon and access server shares printers etc.

I have searched the internet for answers and fished around in the Microsoft Knowledge base but cannot find any real answers, I guess my fear is, how does the PDC or BDC handle domain members or computers that consided "offline" does it start to delete these machine accounts after a certain period of time, or is it a situation where if people are able to work "Just leave it alone"

I'm sorry for the length of this posting, but I am starting to concern about this problem, and would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance

FP

I would just ignore them. The accounts are there and are working so I would leave them alone.

Thankyou,

Do you know whether nt will slowly delete them or some silly like that, because they are inactive??