Compatible Support Forums
ZadrraS

How to remove GRUB loader!?

I have never used Windows 2000, so my knowledge is limited on this. But, I found the following.

Windows 2000 should be installed first, then XP. See the Microsoft article located here.

This question is also complcated by changing motherboards from an Intel to and AMD 64 and i assume that you are trying to keep the current operating systems intact, migrating the old IDE drives to the new system?

This may present some interesting challenges for Fedora, since it was installed origionally on the Intel system with that hardware configuration used during the installation. Is this correct?

Also, have you checked out how Windows 2000 will fare on this new motherboard? Remember, it was released long before this AMD motherboard class was designed.

Before I get caught off guard again (as I did in a previous thread), what make and model motherbaord is the new board? Sometimes this can make a difference, as well, given the potential hardware changes. Are you using the same hardware (ie; video card etc...) I the new system?

In any case, my question still stands. Rather than Fedora Core 5, I would do a fresh install of Core 6 and use grub as your bootloader. This would assure, hopefully, that Fedora likes your new hardware (motherboard). It may make thngs much easier. Core 4 does not do well in some cases with AMD 64 boards, especially if you add sata drives.

If you keep Windows as your bootloader, you can elect not to have grub and add Fedora as a reference to the Windows boot.ini file. But this also takes some savy work in Fedora's rescue mode. This is why I recommend Grub as the bootloader.

Why a fresh installation? Because I have not had a lot of luck with upgrades. Especially after migrating to a new motherboard of a different class and architecture. It may just be me, but save all your important files in Fedora and do a fresh installation of Fedora, once your Windows installations are straightened out and completed.

But remember, aach OS that you install will want to ditch the current MBR (bootloader), so be cautious.

If Fedora Core 4 is working fine now (sound and video work - you have only the older IDE drives in the system), upgrade to 6 and use Grub as the bootloader.

I mention all these things, only because I have been through them. You obviously want to make the whole process as trouble free as possible.

Again, unless you do some savy work, if you attempt to install Windows 2000 next to XP, you could run into some issues. Note the Microsoft article again that I referenced.

This is why I asked for some of the true Windows gurus could respond to this issue.

But my comments would be the ideal solution from my perspective, given the significant change in your system setup that you have now.

OK. I got rid of grub to boot for now. I used the repair console on Windoze to overwrite the MBR and to boot straight into it.

2 simple commands in the repair mode:

fixmbr

fixboot

Now, I want to still access the Linux partition before I upgrade to Fedora 6. The previous grub config statement was as follows:

default=0

timeout=5

splashimage=(hd1,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#hiddenmenu

title Windows XP

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

root (hd1,1)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

How do I now connect the dots so that the Windoze boot.ini gives me the opportunity to boot to Fedora 4, before I go through the process of upgrading to FC6 after I migrate to the new machine?

Hello everyone,

I had a simillar problem but I found a very useful piece of sotware called the EBCD – Emergency Boot CD', and from the ms dos command prompt do a fdisk /mbr.

Hope that helps.

Jhangeirakhtar300