Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mookiestix

Moving Dell Dimension 8200 Mobo to new case?

Has anyone ever tried to move the internal components of a Dell Dimension 8200 over to a new third party ATX case? I have read on these and other forums that Dell is extremely proprietary with their systems innards, and I don't want to have to go thru Dell and pay a ton more for simple upgrades like PSU's than if I just was building a regular DIY system. I have heard that even the mobos they use are proprietary and uniquely attached to the case so that it makes it difficult (maybe impossible?) to put them into a different case. Besides the mobo and the PSU being very proprietary, most of the rest of the internal components seem like they would be very easy to transfer over at first glance. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a cheap case and PSU if I can get all of the Dell components into it withoug too much of a headache. I realize that it would be easier just to build a whole new system, but I just don't have the funds to do that at present and would like to upgrade a few simple things like the PSU and the video card for now. Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, links to info, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

I realize this is an old thread, but I just got done relocating my 8200 to a Kingwin case. Just wondering if you embarked on that journey or not? If you did, how did it go? I'll share more if you respond. Thanks.

Hi xxwabbit -- would you share what was involved in transferring your 8200 over to the new case? I've got an 8200 myself and would like to do the same, but everything I've read leads me to believe Dell's motherboard will not fit into a standard ATX case. Did you have to modify the case?

Thanks.

I would love to. I'll put together some pics of before and after. As of right now, I'm not completely done but I'm typing on it right now. Just got to modify the front panel. So far the biggest challenge was fitting the HSF shroud to the case. Yes the MB is proprietary and would not match up to the new MB tray. I'll get some pics asap.

XXWabbit,

This thread is of interest to me also, although I'm noy moving the 8200 mobo, but rather trying to repair a possible bad switch on the case. Dell has a narrow 40 pin ribbon cable going from the start button to the mobo. I'm trying to jump(or test) the start button to see if the PC starts. I believe the start button is the problem with an 8200 I'm working on.In your effort to install the 8200 in a new case, how did you deal with the start button?

Would you by chance happen to have the pin layout for this 40 pin connection? This is definately a proprietary arrangement.Most ATX cases have a simple 2 or 3 wire switch connecting to a small connector on the mobo.

Thanks

DCO

xxwabbit,..

Ever finish up that transfer? I'm intereted in how you hooked up the front controls,...

Thanks much,...>>>--->

I'm interested in pulling my Sony VAIO parts out and dropping them into a new case, and I am also worried about how realistic this is. Does anyone have any ideas about that? It's a brand new VGC RB38G and I've opened it up for a few mods. The power supply definitely isn't going anywhere, but the new case would have its own, anyway.

My buddy is some sort of computer god and suggests that I avoid it simply because 'my front buttons will never work again'. Thoughts?

I just want to add that I have successfully ported a Dell 8200 mobo to a customized case. If you guys need any help I will gladly assist you the best I can. Also I have a question; I am looking for the audio cable that connects to the little main board where the USB ports and audio connector are located, I wanted to know if you guys know where I can find it. Thank you for your time.

I am currently having a hell of a time getting the motherboard out of my 8200. I've pulled a screw out of each corner, but the board still won't budge. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by kain_783:

Quote:
I just want to add that I have successfully ported a Dell 8200 mobo to a customized case. If you guys need any help I will gladly assist you the best I can. Also I have a question; I am looking for the audio cable that connects to the little main board where the USB ports and audio connector are located, I wanted to know if you guys know where I can find it. Thank you for your time.

Kain, do you know how to make a standard 2-socket power button connector fit on the dell mobo? thanks a lot!

My e-mail is NATEDAGREAT27274@gmail.com Thanks!!!!!

Alright. I got the motherboard off of the tray, by clipping off the plastic at the bottom of the heatsink mounting brackets. This required purchasing a new mounting bracket, which I now have installed, along with a new heatsink and cpu fan. Once the mobo, sans tray, fit into the case, only one of its holes matched up with the holes in the case (Antec SLK3000B)... so I screwed that one in, marked the other three, and drilled three new holes into the case. Miraculously, these were accurate enough to get the motherboard mounted in its new home.

As of right now, I have everything together except the front panel connections. If anyone is doing a similar thing and needs some help, you can send me an IM (thespoon87) or email (ch.martin@gmail.com) and I'll try to assist.

My problem is now the same as MrNaPaLm32's. #1, not really knowing how to physically connect the wires, but more importantly #2, having no idea which pins do what.