Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Logic*

Stop multiple instances of a USB printer?

Hi I am new smile

I've got a laptop which I take with me back and forth from work and home. At home I have a USB printer. If I plug in the USB printer at home sometimes it creates a new 'printer' in 'Printers & Faxes', called <printer name> (Copy 1). This causes the default printer to stay offline and means I have to switch between instances of the same printer, even though I only have one physical printer!

Anyone know of a way to make it so I can plug the USB printer in and it won't create another instance in 'Printers & Faxes'?

Thanks

Have you tried making your default printer shareable as if it were on a network?

You don't mention which OS you are using but I will assume it is either XP or Win2k.

Your problem may stem from the fact you are not disconnecting the USB printer properly. when you plug in a usb device it will be detected and you will have an icon appear on the bottom right of your task bar. when you want to disconnect the printer you must double clic that Icon and a list of detected USB devices will appear. clic on the printer and then choose stop. it will then tell you you can safely remove it from the system then you just unplug the printer and it will remove the instance of it so when you plug it back in it will just re-detect it and install again without the old instance of it showing up.

S

Thanks for your suggestions,

I'm at tech now but I'll experiment when I get back home.

Sorry steve, I am using an updated XP Professional SP1

I'll report back, thanks again.

Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem except the computer is a desktop and the printer (Brother MFC-9700) is always connected to it. The (Copy 1) driver re-install happens on reboot and it sets the original driver as "offline". I have to manually redirect printouts or reset it as the default to print locally, and no one on my network want's to have to do this. Help!