Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
menu23

why does my computer freeze up when I use either one of my dvd drives (

I have a problem with my computer every time I try to use my dvd drives. I have a NEC dvd drive and a Sony dvd/cd/rw drive. 99% of the time when I try to put in a cd or dvd the computer freeze up and I have to turn off the computer and re-boot with the cd or dvd in the drives. Most times it will complete the re-boot and I can use the dvd drives...but sometimes it will also freeze up in the middle of the re-boot also.

I am running windows XP professional.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Frank

You will want to make sure that windows is identifying the drives. You need to go into your Device Manager (Right Click My Computer-Properties click on the Hardware Tab, then click on the Device Manager Button.

Next to the CD/DVD icon is a "+" button. Click on it to make sure that the DVD drives are identified correctly. If you want you can right click and choose properties for each to see if there are any conflicts. (As quirky as these things are, they will probably be correct.)

Drop down to the IDE/ATapi icon and click on its "+" sign. It is the Primary and Secondary that you will want to pay attention to. You want everything detected Automatically and you want DMI if available for both Primary and Secondary. When you go through these make see what IRQ's they are on. The IRQ's are assigned by Windows so the number varies from computer to computer, but these two devices cannot share the same IRQ. One should be (as an example) IRQ 14 and the other IRQ 15 let say. They cannot share the same IRQ. Write these values down. Click on View and then Resources by Type and click on the "+" next to Interrupt request. You want to see here if there is another device that may be sharing the IRQ with one of your DVD's.

Microsoft does allow for some sharing of IRQ's among devices, but DVD should be shared.

This is just the start of tracing down the problem. Let us know what you see.

I have done everything that you have sadi to do and all of the drivers are correct and the IRQ are different. There are no conflicts on either drives.

Are you operating behind a software firewall? Are you using some kind of anti-virus program?

yes to both...I am using Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet security.

By the way I want to thank you for your help so far.