Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tgg

Question about lan networking bandwidth!!

I have 3 pc's in my home sharing the dsl 1.5/128 bandwidth using a dlink 4 port router. 2 pc's have windows 2000 sp4 wich one is mine and other has windows xp home edition. The other 2 pc's the users use it for browsing the net and one uses kazza also and limewire. I use my pc for net and etc but i'm the only one uses for quake3 online gaming.

I notice is when i play quake3 online i get alot og spikes and lags etc cause their on the pc's using some bandwidth. i want to know is there a way to setup the other pc's to only use up to a limit of bandwidth because they dont need all 1.5 of speed to browse and such i would think maybe no more that 100 at least its faster than a modem. I need as much bandwidth as possible especially when palying online games. thanks in advance.

Some routers will let you close a port down altogether, but I don't know that there is a way to limit the bandwidth through the router. If you want to hog the bandwidth you could use a large TCP RWIN, using the maximum possible MTU allows a single PC to efficiently and very effectively consume all of the available bandwidth OR some routers will allow you to exclude offensive sites, so put all the urls that the Kazaa users normally contact in there and it will shut that down.