Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Up2Date issue for fedora one

i just got a new box and i know its slow but first specs incase it my sytem hanging not up2date

pIII 650 mhz Slot 1

524MB RAM pc100

32MB video card nvidia

Blaster Board

it freezes when it gets to the xfree86 4.0x package im going to try apt get but i want to get up2date working any tips/tricks for it

'apt' is a Debian distro thing.

'up2date' is a Red Hat _less than or equal_ 9.0 thing.

(it's 'yum' and 'apt' for Fedora, right?)

which distro are you installing?

I use apt-get rpm exclusively with Fedora Core 1, and never use up2date. When the little icon in the lower right becomes a red exclaimation point, I know it's time to upgrade packages with apt. Which version are you using? Apt is very easy to install and get running on Red Hat/ Fedora.

I usng Fedora Core 2. Up2date seems to freeze when it is retrieving packages, but if you wait a while the download and install completes. I know, the screen seems to freeze, but the screen eventually comes up and completes. I bet this would be even more dramatic on a modem download.

Not a good thing for Fedora users. Dapper Dan´s suggestion using apt-get rpm is a good one, since this does not seem to be a problem.

alright im using version 1 for one purpose fedora 2 wont install oddly enough estimated time is 3500 minutes no joking every other file is error prone and its slow

my dvd drive is4x slower than the one on my hp first i thought the discs went bad and they were fine on the hp, and they passed the media checks, so now im trying to update it too fedora core 2 dapper dan i saw your guide for apt-get for fedora 2 i did it for two on my hp and it worked great but pretel how do i do it for one

also i left up2date on for a whole day while i was about 9 hours still stuck

since im still at the noob/novice level

im aquanted with apt-get except synaptic kept freesing and up2date

but not yum

current distro Fedora Core 1 DvD iso

thanks for all the replys so far

[Edited by SoulNothing on 2004-08-08 16:07:33]

alright took me from 8 am to 8:30 pm but core 2 is on the box im working with synaptic but im still a bit lost as what to get