Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robhfd

can't use system sounds - please HELP

hi all

i bought a new pc a few weeks ago, and haven't been able to hear the system sounds. I'm not a novice user and have checked all the obvious things.

When i apply the windows default sound scheme all looks ok, but the play (preview icon) is greyed out. All the files are there to browse and i can play them ok by double clicking them (they open with wmp).

The only anomolie i have noticed is that if i apply my default device in voice playback in the sounds and audio devices it will revert back to blank when i apply close and reopen it. I'm not sure if this is anything to do with the problem.

Other things like games, videos and music all play ok. It just seems to be the system sounds that are affected.

Please help, cause i can't see anyone else with this problem in google.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody,

I have the same problem with the sound in windows. Everything is working well except the system sound. It's irritating me. I think it happend after i burned a vcd with ulead picture maker.

Help me!!!

Sander ;(

Start->Run "Regedit" and navigate to this key: HKEY_USERS.

If it doesn't have a Data entry in the right pane that reads: (value not set), double click (Default) and delete it.

If it does, check your HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21 keys for the same

(For example: S-1-5-21-823518204-1770027372-682003330-24620).

So, the (default) value needs to be (value not set).

This information was provided by Kellys-korner-xp.com

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm: "Where did my Sounds go?" -> "System Sounds are missing:"

Try these smile

I have the same problem. I can play MP3, but I can't play wav files. The audio device keeps going to blank when I select nvidia then 'ok' to close and re-start 'sound and audio devices'.

I tried the advise by Wilhelmus, but it still does not work.

There was something in

'S-1-5-21-823518204-1770027372-682003330-24620'

I deleted and the default become (value not set) as advised.

But still the same error.

Please help. I've been without system sound for two months now, I'm getting agitated! I reinstalled the Nvidia device drivers but still the same error.

Is it because of conflict with other devices? I remember I did install a camera device recently. If it was the case, how do I uninstall the camera device?