Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Durt

Predictive Text Selecting - Turning this "feature" off

Windows XP attempts to predict what text you want highlighted as you left click and move your mouse. Most of the time it screws up. How do I turn this "feature" off so I can just highlight what I want highlighted without WinXP meddling?

Thanks

In which application? Notepad, Wordpad, Word, command line?

More info required.

Originally posted by peterh:

Quote:
In which application? Notepad, Wordpad, Word, command line?

More info required.

WordPad, IE, Microsoft Help, Word, etc. Doesn't do it in notepad. WinXP won't let me highlight parts of words, must be the entire word.

Sounds like you are misunderstanding me still. I am not talking about autocomplete. I am talking about selecting or highlighting text with a mouse. Using the Firefox browser, I can highlight parts of words. Here is an example:

FireFox_highlight.png

I then tried to highlight the same letters using Internet Explorer and this is what happens:

IE_highlight.png

This is how other Microsoft apps act. I want to be able to select whatever text I want.

You pointed me in the right direction in WordPad...

WordPad - View Menu, Options submenu, Options tab, uncheck "Automatic Word Selection" option...

After unchecking this, I can highlight what I want in the document, and WordPad won't select entire words. That is the behavior that I want. I was hoping this was a universal Windows XP thing, but I guess it isn't.