Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vipzzz

How to uninstall Linux Mandrake 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, i want to know how i can uninstall linux from my Pc becuase i wanto install linux on a different PC. i have install linux on my second partition. i am using lilo as a my bootloader, so how can u remove lilo safely and remove mandrake. i have read some the other posts relating to this topic but i didnt understand. so can u plz tell me step by step on wat to do.

Thanks

vip

insert a windows disk and use fdisk mbr to remove lilo use windows fdisk to wipe out mandrake on the second partition. If this scares you I would invest in partition magic it's safe and easy to use.

One problem here. Windows fdisk will not see the Mandrake partiton, will it?

Either use PartitionMagic to delete your partition and resize the windows partition;

or you can use the Mandrake install disk #1 to start the install process until you get to the disk partioning utility. Choose expert partitioning and allow Mandrake to delete the Mandrake partition. You will get an error message about no root partition for Mandrake, Ignore this and then back out of the install. You can then use a partitoning utility like fdisk or whatever to make another vfat partition, or whatever you want to do. If you want to just make another logical parition with the free space, that's fine too.

I seem to remember being able to do it with the windows 2000 disk, I could be wrong though. Danleff's suggestion will work if my solutions fails. There is alway partition magig wink

Now I'm curious, it's been a while since I had to do this.

Yes, the preferred method of restoring the MBR in Win XP is to use the fixboot method in the recovery console of the WinXP install cd. Using fdisk /mbr may or may not work. I have seen both senarios.

Hopefully vipzzz has the XP install disk (XP is not pre-installed and he does not have the original disk).

Hey Guy's

I have done this more than I care to mention with XP

If you fdisk /mbr

then restart XP it will automatically restore the mbr & tell you to restart.

Then just go to Admin tools\computer management\disk management &

delete the linux partitions

Originally posted by Pfour:

Quote:
Hey Guy's

I have done this more than I care to mention with XP

If you fdisk /mbr

then restart XP it will automatically restore the mbr & tell you to restart.

Then just go to Admin tools\computer management\disk management &

delete the linux partitions

Yes. that's how I did it. You are a good man.

THnak you all for ur reply. i will try to do wat u have told me and get back to u to see whihc one worked.

THANKS!!!!!

Thanks you for all ur help. i have removed linux from my PC. the method i have used was the fdsik /mbr. thanks for that idea on how to remove the boot loader.

to use fdisk /mbr do you need just any windows disk or one specific to Win XP? As that is the version of Win I have.