Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
R3ckl3ss

Logitech MX510 drivers

Is there a driver for the Logitech MX510 optical mouse? If so where could I get them and how the heck do you install them. I'm new to Linux but I'm convinced that Windows is EVIL!! So I'm willing to try out Linux and hopefully switch soon.

Thanks

Linux should already have the drivers built in, but you must tell it what mouse you are using. What version of linux are you running (different ones have different setup tools)? That said - it shouldn't be a problem. You might try opening a console (command line interface) and typing

xf86cfg

which brings you to a graphical setup tool for configureing your window system. Select the closest mouse for your model. You ought to be able to just select logitec. After that your mouse should work fine.

I know that the mouse is detected as a 7 button mouse. I guess what I'm asking is how to make the side buttons act as a forward and back in a browser/file explorer. I couldn't find anyplace that would allow me to set that function up.

The other thing that has come up since the last post. How does one set the default programs for web browsing or file browsing. For example I would like Natulis (sp?) to be used as the default file browser and Mozilla for the web part.

Specs

AMD Athlon 2600+

MSI KM400 Mainboard

512MB PC-3200

80GB Maxtor Drive

Mandrake Linux 10

you're going to need to run 'xev' to figure out the button numbers

for the special buttons you want to use.

then you're going to need to put the button numbers into

a ZAxisMapping option in the proper InputDevice stanza

in XF86Config. Reverse the button numbers if the motion

is backwards. laugh

I assume that Mandrake is still using KDE as default.

To change many of the file associations go to the control panel/ KDE components/ file associations.

While you're in control panel check Peripherals/ Mouse. I don't think you can do anything there, but since the system recognizes 7 buttons, maybe it gives you more options.