Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JOHNP0950

SIMPLE CONNECTION BETWEEN WIN NT4.0 COMPUTER AND A WINDOWS 2000 PRO

I AM TRYING TO SETUP A NETWORK CONNECTION BETWEEN MY OLD COMPUTER(P2, 450mhz, WIN NT4.0) AND MY NEW MACHINE(P4, 3ghz, WINDOWS 2000 PRO). I HAVE A ETHERNET CARD IN EACH AND A CAT 5e CROSSOVER CABLE BETWEEN THEM. I HAVE ASSIGNED TCP/IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.11 (OLD) AND 192.168.0.2 (NEW).

I AM TRYING TO TRANSFER SOME DATA FILES FROM THE OLD TO THE NEW.

AT THIS POINT, WITH MY LACK OF NETWORKING KNOWLEDGE, I AM LOST...I NEED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO COMPLETE THIS CONNECTION. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP, AS SOON AS I COULD GET IT.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

JOHNP0950

First thing, please take the CAPS lock key off as this is considered bad form as in YELLING wink

Make sure that you have a link light on both ethernet cards, if you look at the older machine it should have a green connection or link light, at least most cards use this color. Then check new machine and verify the same thing. This is to make sure that the x-over cable is working properly. Also you may see an amber colored activity light as well, this is good too as this will let you know that there appears to be some attempts of data packets being sent between the two machines.

I would check both machines for the proper protocol, you ONLY need to have TCP/IP enabled and bound to the ethernet card on both machines. If you also have something like NetBEUI and/or IPX/SPX then please remove these unwanted protocols.

Now then, you're going to be in workstation/work group mode rather then members of a domain correct ?!?

If you don't get any kind of logon screen that requests a domain name then assume work group mode.

Now then, make sure to create a common work group name, for instance home or work or even workgroup. Both machines should be members of the same local group.

Now after making sure of this, you will want to create as many shares on the old machine as you need, for instance if you want to copy data from the My Documents folder you would share this object and make sure that anybody including guest connections are allowed, this will be an option when you first create the shared object. You could just as easily create a shared folder on your Windows 2000 machine and do the same thing, in fact I prefer this method myself. I create a temp folder on my destination machine and give the shared object guest logon connections with read/write privileges.

Once all of these things have been checked then I would wait for a period of time, say about 30 minutes or so. Sometimes shares don't show up right away, not sure if this is intentional on Microsoft's part or what but I've seen this occur.

Please let us know what happens smile