Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eyyu

Is linux compatible with DVI output?

I installed mandrake 10 into my comp, but after it loads up all the hardware, the screen just turns black and i cant do anything. i have an lcd hooked up to my comp through the dvi output. is there something i have to do so that i can view it through dvi, or do i have to use an analog cable? thanks in advance

one of my systems has an LCD connected to a Radeon 9600TX using the

DVI output connector, so yes, Linux is compatible with DVI output

in that sense.

sounds like you don't have the correct display driver selected

for your system. Either that, or your LCD display is getting

confused at the moment the display briefly blanks when it switches

from text mode to GUI mode. Does your LCD have two inputs?

Does it automagically select its input? Can you manually adjust the input?

yeah my lcd has two inputs, but i dont have an analog cable at the moment. it also automatically selects the input, so its set at digital. how do i select the correct display driver?

ok. don't worry about not having an analog cable.

I brought up the two inputs idea only because I've experienced

a slap-the-forehead moment once when I was messing around with

display adjustments and thought the LCD panel had gone dead.

It wasn't until I sat back to review the situation that I noticed

the LCD panel had switched to the unattached analog input. :x

If I understand your situation correctly, you've just installed MDK and you're having

display problems? There's nothing on the MDK system which needs to be saved because

you haven't had a chance yet to make something to save with it?

In that case, what's probably going to be easiest for you is to rerun the install

process but select the display driver manually when you are afforded the opportunity.

Can you tell me/us more about your system (specifically about the display card)?

Try running XFdrake as root and try a different configuration. There will be many choices you can make as to the monitor, resolution and video card. Mandrake 10 still uses Xfree86 right? It will also give you a choice of two different versions of "X."

Hey guys thanks for all the replies, but I'm still a bit confused.

My display card is a geforce4 ti4400 128mb. I've reinstalled linux 3+ times, with both mandrake and redhat. both distros give me the black screen after bootup, the monitor doesnt go into power save(yellow status light) but it stays as green.

Also, what is XFdrake? and what is Xfree86? Sorry, I'm a noob so I don't know anything about linux. I remember doing the setup for display during the installation. It detected my video card as a generic geforce4 and my monitor as digital 1901fp. I thought it might be the resolution comptability, so I changed it to 1024x768 and 16mil colors, but still no luck. ;(

Thanks