Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Double0Three

Lindows/Linspire

Just wondering what's going on with that... is Lindows like a front end/desktop for Linux, or is it like a completely different distribution? It looks like it's a distribution all on it's own, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it, or see it mentioned on sites discussing the different distros. Just curious, thanks!

I quess you don't keep track of the news much!

Lindows is now called Linspire, as Microsoft sued claiming a copyright issue with the name Windows. Linspire is it's own distro based on Debian.

Linux addicts don't like to talk about it much as Linspire costs some cash. I have Linspire on my system and it runs very well. It is geared toward the user who wants a distro that installs easily and requires little effort to install additional packages (programs). You can directly install new software using the CNR warehouse, without bothering with dependencies and such. However, all the new distros have gotten much better at this, although us die-hard users enjoy tinkering with installing packages the hard way (or as we might say, the right way)!

We could start a nice flame war here about it, but we will avoid that!

It is another good choice, depending on the level of experience of the Linux user.

I don't have a problem paying for some Linux OSs and software. Every dollar I may have to spend for Win4lin, Cedega/Winex or Lindspire is one less dollar I'll have to give Microsoft! smile

DefRef: you're not paying for the Linux OS or the software.

You're paying for the delivery and maintenance of the OS, software, software repository,

packaging and advertising, etc.

Everything except the OS and the software - it's free (as in unshackled).

Thank you Mr. wizard. I'm sure no one would have had any idea what I was saying until you clarified all the mistakes you perceived in my post... :x

[Edited by Dapper Dan on 2004-07-28 14:34:07]

hey, relax! I'm not just picking on you. laugh

danleff got me started on the "just what are you paying for?" by saying Linux addicts

don't like talking about Linspire becau$e it co$t$ a few buck$.

It's all danleff's fault, see? 8)

'course you can turn the DefRef thing back on me and point out when you send money

to Microsoft, you're not paying for software either.

You're paying for a license to use the copy you have.

Ok, yeah I knew Linspire is not known as Lindows due to Copyright. Also I kind of suspected it wasn't talked about much due to the fact you need to pay money. It looks like a pretty decent newbie Linux though, too bad they didn't have a free version (maybe just have no Tech Support for the freeloaders like Mandrake, or maybe just not have access to all the CNR programs without paying).

Hi

Personally, I don't agree with paying for Linux (or any software for that matter). Doesn't mean programmers will be out of a job: gnu.org sets out new business strategies for software companies.

I've seen a post somewhere saying Linux is licensed under GPL and BSD is true GNU. I've always thought of GPL being a particular implementation (license) of GNU.

I'll have to check the details of the GPL license. What is important to me is:

-Can never become proprietry.

-Sources will always have to remain open.

-Free distribution.

I would say using Lindows is going to be better than using Window (especially for the "average" user) but paying for it defeats the spirit of open source software.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. wink

Koba

See, I told you so!

But double0three gets it. You pay for the ease of using CNR warehouse! Linspire has had promos where you can get the cd free (the download) but you only pay for the service to use CNR. You can access the forums for support as a "guest."

Again, Mandrake, RedHat and some of the other major distros like Xandros all have "options" to pay...for the support and as a member!

And if I had money coming out my ears, then maybe I'd choose the option to pay over the free version! But for now I'll stick with my free Linux (using Knoppix to test compatibility, then will test again with Mandrake Move, then install either Redhat Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10.0, haven't decided yet but that's another topic for another day!)