Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
noclue

While initializing device SHELL: ERROR!!!!!

i tried to install a dvd burner into my PC, so i turned it off at the powerpoint, opened it up and took out the old cd burner and replaced it with the dvd burner.

Now the computer won't even start, after the win 98 splash screen i get this message

"While initializing device SHELL:

Cannot find or load required file KRNL386.EXE

The file was not found

press any key to continue"

then when i press a key it switches itself off.

I thought maybe about re installing windows, so i inserted the boot disk but the computer won't read the a drive??

anyone have anything i could try to get it working :(:(:(

This problem comes up for the most part when there is either a hardware misconfigurement, an IRQ conflict, or the Bios does not support your hardware.

Since this is Windows 98, turn on the machine and hold down the CTRL button to see if you can get into Safe Mode. If successful go to your system manager and see if your new burner is in conflict with another device.

If not successful, attempt to go into your Bios and see if the burner is being recognized. Generally, burners like to be Masters with DMA enabled.

Check your motherboard's website to determine if there is a Bios update that may recognize your new device that the old BIOS may not.

You can always put back in your old burner and boot up. If successful, go into the System or Hardware Manager and delete the burner then power down (and ignore the prompt install new hardware), put in your new burner and try to boot up again.

i can't get into safe mode frown

so i put back in the old burner and it still reads the same error?

I have been searhing for a solution pretty much all day and one site i was at said that it possibly has set the bios to load form it rather then the C drive? Im not very computer hardware smart so can anyone tell me how i can check that? Or if it could even be the problem?

If anyone knows what i can do i would be very thankful smile

When your computer first boots you will be told how to get into the Bios - by hitting DEL or ESC or F4. When you see that hit the key a few times. Generally a menu comes up and generally the first highlighed item is where you will want to start your search.

What you will be looking for is the boot sequence which instructs the Bios the order it is to choose the piece of hardware to start its bootup. Put your cursor over this item and use the PgUp and PgDn to change the values. What might be best is to choose the sequence A:, C:, then CD. To save your configuration generally you will press the F10 key.

When it starts up it will go to A: first and if it finds nothing, it will then go to C: . If C: does not boot, at least you can put a formatted systems disk in A: the next go around to get the computer up. At that point, you could reinstall 98.

ok i got into the bios and have check the order and it floppy, hd, cd so i can't see why that isn't working now??

Is there anyway to setting bios to default? If yes would that work or could it have been modified before i purchased it?

or could one of my parts blown?

Thanks for you patience Sampson, i really appreciate you trying to help smile

any more ideas??

Actually, many Bioses will let you set it to the default or factory status. What I believe the problem may be is that an improper inf file for the CD is defaulted in windows.