Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gurmit21

Will Mandrake Linux 10 Official Support Modem on Toshiba Notebook ?

hello friends, i have Toshiba Noteoobk Model " Satellite : - A15-S1292 " which has " TOSHIBA Software Modem ". I want to install Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official ( Downloaded Version ) on that notebook. i am afraid of Modem.

As we all know, that most of the Modems are NOT supported by the Linux. But is there any body on the basis of his own experince can tell me will this particular Modem on the Notebook work or not if i install the Mandrake Linux 10 Distro on the Notebook.

Please reply soon........after your friends recommnedations and support i would proceed....so please reply soon.

thanks

with regards

gurmit21

if the modem is Conexant based, there are drivers available.

need more information

thanks but no thanks.....friends i can give you the following information additionally....

1. The Hardware is " Toshiba Software Modem V.92 MoH " . I have learnt that most of the Notebooks by Toshiba come with this Modem by default.

2. Another important information regarding my Modem is that it is Manufactured by " Agere " and Driver for this Modem is also Provided by " Agere " . So i guess that the modem has " Agere Chip " on it.

I hope this is sufficent information

thanks

with regards :

gurmit21

I guess you're right about the modem chipset. Do the product docs call it "K56flex"?

My old Toshiba 445CDT had a real non-software modem in it, but it

was only a 33.6kbps modem. So I bought a 3com combo card

(ethernet and 56k modem) and never had even the slighest difficulty using it

with Red Hat 7.3.

Have you visited Toshiba's Linux Support Portal?

There is an implementation memo about the Satellite A15.

The Lucent/Agere chipset in your modem might be supported. Take a look at the Linmodems site.

My wife and I have a Toshiba Satellite using Morphix-Gnome 4.1 with an Orinoco Gold card. Everything works perfectly except the 56k modem which we don't use anyway. smile Maybe it DOES work with Linux, but I'm afraid we've never looked into it.

Well, buddies, today i received mail from toshiba's own linux Expert. He predicts that Modem will not work on any cost. They also let me know that Linux OS only supports " External Hardware Modems " run on Serial Port.

Yes friends, it seems true, because today i had an experiment, i borrowed " DLink " company's external modem interfaced by Serial port from my friend. And to my amazement, as i connect it to my Mandrake Linux Official, the OS detects it on " ttyso " port and it get me connected on internet within a flash of second.

So i have decided now that i will buy the same new Modem and will say FAREWELL to Windows forever.

because connecting to internet was my only problem with Linux, i had. It is sorted out now . i am really thankful to all of you people for you kind help.

Thankyou

gurmit21

do not worry i will be over here on this forum soon as i get a new problem in Linux. But definately all the problems in future will be minors now.

thanksbold text

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
You might want to also have a look at Actiontec's V92 external serial modem. I have used them many times under Linux. They work right out of the box.

Ok, I bought one wink I currently have a Multimodemzpx V90/56k internal which I got specifically for faxing in Linux. It does indeed work well in linux, but, only so so in W2K... kind of disapointing frown I figure that I'll also be able to use the external with my laptop, and, the price is decent so what the heck wink I'll give you a report on how it works with Mepis. Thanks for the link Dan smile

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
You might want to also have a look at Actiontec's V92 external serial modem. I have used them many times under Linux. They work right out of the box.

Ok, I bought one wink I currently have a Multimodemzpx V90/56k internal which I got specifically for faxing in Linux. It does indeed work well in linux, but, only so so in W2K... kind of disapointing frown I figure that I'll also be able to use the external with my laptop, and, the price is decent so what the heck wink I'll give you a report on how it works with Mepis. Thanks for the link Dan smile