Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
motionman04

Question on installing icewm control panel

I went to the installation pyinstallshield or whatever, and it only opens the source code for the file, it does not run the installation. How do I install this program through the GUI?

Hi Motionman04. I have used IceWM for almost two years now, and can probably point you in the right direction on getting it installed and configured. First, tell me what distro you're using.

IceWM is already included with Mdk 10, along with a nice configurator called Icepref. As root go:

urpmi icewm [enter]

It will beg for your install CDs.

Then do the same with Icepref

urpmi icepref [enter]

After installation, IceWM will appear in the KDE sign in thingy, (KDM), under "sessions." Just choose it and you're off! smile

If you need more info on IceWM just ask. It's a very fast desktop environment, and highly configurable.

Hey thanks, I was able to install the program!

My only question is how do I change the quick launch icons next to the iceWM button on the taskbar?

What do you need icons on your desktop for? wink

One of the reasons IceWM is so fast is you're not bogged down with a lot of extras you really don't need, (like desktop icons.) Everything you'll ever need can be programmed right there in your menu, just a right click away. You can use the Mandrake menu editor to set up your IceWM menu the way you want, but it was always a little squirrelly in Mdk 9. They may have gotten it fixed. To configure IceWM, I use Icecc, which can do everything from changing the background to setting up your menu. The guy who created it, Vadim Khohlov is really nice and helpful, and appreciates feedback from users, (when worded courteously).

As far as menu entries go, Its real easy to do that manually. using your favorite editor, just go to:

~/.icewm/menu

If the icewm menu is not there yet, edit one entry using the Mandrake menu editor, or icecc, and it will create ~/home/.icewm/menu for you.

Here's a screenshot of my first IceWM DE way back when I was using Mandrake 9. smile