Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GABE

Ghosting Win2000 Advanced Server to a Raid 5 Array

My W2K Advanced Server currently runs on a simple IDE drive.

I am upgrading the storage to a Raid 5 system (Promise adapter)

I want to Ghost my current OS to the Raid array, so that we won't have to re-install the OS.

Problem: WIN2k server will not recognize the Raid array at boot, unless it has the driver preloaded.

How can we include the raid drivers in the existing OS files so that the system will boot properly when we switch to the ghosted raid drive ? Is this actually feasible?

Originally posted by Gabe:

Quote:
Problem: WIN2k server will not recognize the Raid array at boot, unless it has the driver preloaded.

How can we include the raid drivers in the existing OS files so that the system will boot properly when we switch to the ghosted raid drive ? Is this actually feasible?

Shutdown your server, install the Promise board and on the next reboot install the drivers as you normally would for new hardware.

Now Ghost the drive, the drivers are now loaded for you.

Now, the Promise controller should make the RAID array appear as just one drive, however I do not have experience with Ghost on RAID.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the boot.ini file may need to be modified, so you may want to create an NT boot floppy so that you can modify this as necessary.

Actually with most RAID controllers it's best practice to install the driver before the hardware, this should be documented in the RAID card installation manual.