Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
motionman04

How to access fdisk in linux?

I'll take a stab at it. When you say, "unhidden" what do you mean? Did you try installing Mandrake second in a dual boot configuration and now XP isn't showing up in your boot loader? If so, which boot loader? Likely Lilo with Mandrake.

Are you sure the XP partition is still there? Have you checked in the Mandrake Control center under "mount points" to see if the XP NTFS partition is intact? Have you tried mounting through Linux to see if the files are still there?

Forgive me if these are dumb questions, or you've already done these things, I just need a better idea of where you are with this before I attempt to help further. Thanks.

Everything is still there, and I know windows xp is still installed on the other partition, when I try to boot it, I get an error with xmnt2002, but someone told me that I must make my windows xp partition unhidden.

I know next to nothing anymore about Windows, and especially know very little about XP. Is there such a thing as an XP boot floppy? Can you download one from the Internet? You might be able to get in that way.

You may want to also try downloading and burning the live cd Kanotix, and running QTparted from it. I think there are utilities in there that will let you do some editing on your partitions.

You could also run QTparted from Mandrake if it is installed or installable.

check your grub.conf file

/etc/grub.conf

under the windows section see that you unhide the partition which is mentiones as root

title dos

rootnoverify (hdx,y)

chainloader +1

make it

title dos

unhide (hdx,y)

rootnoverify (hdx,y)

chainloader +1

where in hdx,y the x,y represent the actual numbers mentioned.