Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Call of Duty, wiht loki installed, but it wont start

Call of Duty installed successfull wiht the loki installer but it says

Winex not in your path

and the readme says to do this

I have Cedega (winex 4.0) installed and get allways the message: Wine(X) not in your PATH

1. Create a symlink

ln -s `type -p cedega` `type -p cedega * sed s/cedega/winex3/`

or

2. Change in your game startscript the WINE_NAMES varibale i.e.

WINE_NAMES="cedega cvswinex winex wine"

I know i do this in console but what directory does it need to be in. I think the symlink would be the easiers as i have no clue how to do the startscript

i just click on the link it installed into my kde menu

Can anyone simply the instructions for me?

* the star should be a line but the wont accept that symbol in posting

By the way, are you trying to start with:

winex3 whatever.exe

Or:

cedega whatever.exe

?

Actually I dont know, the loki installer installs a shortcut to the Kde menu which just links to the codsp file to start the game, but it wont start.

I paied my subscriptoin fee and I have Cediga installed and I use point to play to do games but this one was different it uses loki AND Cediga

So you haven't tried getting it to run from a terminal yet? Open a terminal, and as regular user, get into the directory where the executable is with the cd command. It's likely in the location below, so go:

cd .transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/ [enter]

Once there do:

ls [enter]

That will give you a list of directories in your fake windows/Program Files directory.

Look for the one that has the Call of Duty executable in it. Once in the same place as the executable go:

cedega whatever.exe [enter]

..and that should open it for you. Let's say for instance the .exe is in a folder called callofduty, and the .exe is called whatever.exe. You can then create an icon on your kde desktop and give it this command:

cedega .transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/callofduty/whatever.exe

And when you click on that icon, it *should* work.

Ok here is what is confusing me, I ran the loki installer and it installs the game here

/usr/local/games/cod

which is similiar to where it installed Castle Wolfenstein, however that game didtn require Cedega to run, and this one does.

I'm not familiar with that installer, but if /usr/local/games is where the Call of Duty directory and it's .exe is installed, you need to go find yourself in the same directory as that .exe and go:

cedega whatever.exe

That should start it. Will Call of duty not install without that installer by mounting the Call of Duty cd and finding the install.exe and running it with cedega?

Got it to work, apparently I need to have the command line version of Cedega, to use loki installers. So now the game works, but

its messes up the desktop after it exits.

As best as I can describe it.

My monitor runs in 1280x960 (it wont do 1280x1024 for some reason)

game I run in 800x600, but when it exits it still in 800x600, but you have to move your mouse around the edge of the screen to see your desktop, its like the desktop is bigger than the Monitor.

I would try to run the game in 1280x960, but it doesnt support that resolution.

Any ideas?

Also, since we had this thread, I've learned that games now install better using Point2Play. The good thing about it is, you can run different games with different versions of Winex rather than having to do with just one. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get Steam operational without using Point2play to install it.

iamroot, I've been playing around with regular Wine lately, and it has improved significantly since I last use it about a year ago! smile

I totally agree. Last year when i 1st started out using Wine, i was quite disappointed cos it really was far below my basic expectations. But the more recent versions really took me by surprise. I managed to install and run quite a few games like jedi academy, GTA vice city and even managed to run Call of Duty perfectly. It's really improved drastically.

I have the same problem with several games returning the desktop in an odd state. I couldn't tell you a good solution though, I've tried and tried to no avail - If anyone has a good solution or ugly hack or whatever, please help us out!

I have the same problem with several games returning the desktop in an odd state. I couldn't tell you a good solution though, I've tried and tried to no avail - If anyone has a good solution or ugly hack or whatever, please help us out!