Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iCe-lOrD

warcraft III

i installed wine on Mandrake 10.0, and im tryin to install warcraft III, will it work?? and can u tell me how to do it aswell plz, im new to linux smile

I'm not sure if Winex3/Cedega will even work with Mandrake 10 since there have been issues doing this with the 2.6 kernel. It's not yet clear to me if it's the kernel, or that my particular distro, Fedora, (core 2) isn't using Xfree86 anymore. I know as a fact Half-Life won't run with Cedega in Core 2 with the 2.6 kernel.

You may want to try it anyway though since Mandrake 10 still uses Xfree86. If it won't work, you can always install the optional 2.4 kernel in Mdk 10 and shouldn't then have any problems running Warcraft under Winex3/Cedega.

Starcraft is also slowish when running under cedega/winex. There may be a way to tighten it up a little. Try a google search and see what you come up with. If you can find any remedies, could you post them back here? Thanks.

Here is what I do to make starcraft faster - it might work for Warcraft as well.

I made a little script like this:

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd usr/local/games/Starcraft

wine StarCraft.exe

Obvioulsy nothing interesting - and not even well written (I did this a long time ago but it works so I don't care)

Then I named it starcraft

chmod a+xrw starcraft

copied it into /bin

then I just start with a failsafe session type with no windowmanager and type starcraft

after starting starcraft I press

Ctrl+Alt+F4

and login from that terminal.

Then I type

renice +19 wineserver

and then type exit to log off that server

then Alt+F7 to get back to Starcraft and away I go.

This also fixed any choppy sound.

Also changing wine to use winealsa instead of wineoss fixed choppy sound in some games.