Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fantom5497

Newbie ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Fedora 1. How do i get GL stuff to work?

Hi,

I have the above Video card, and Linux graphics run fine, except when i go to anything in 3D (GL screensavers, games etc).

I am new to the Linux scene and downloaded the Check.sh file, checked my Xfree86 version (v4.3.0) and installed the rpm file as instructed on the instructions from ATI. An error appeared and then the output said it had installed successfully. The GL stuff still runs like a dog!

Here is the output:

First i check the Xfree version:

[root@localhost ati]# ./check.sh

=====================================================================

ATI Technologies

=====================================================================

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 is installed.

Then i install the correct RPM file:

[root@localhost ati]# rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm

########################################### [100%]

########################################### [100%]

*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

*** WARNING ***

Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.

You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir

and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.

Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'

in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.

(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware

acclerated

OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack

performance.

failed.

*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult

readme.

Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application

===

ATI display drivers successfully installed

please run 'fglrxconfig' now

Then i try to run make.sh like it says and get:

[root@localhost build_mod]# ./make.sh

ATI module generator V 2.0

==========================

initializing...

kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include not found or incomplete

file: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

Does anyone know if the 9600 works with Fedora1 and how do i get it to work?

Thanks in advance,

Richy Browne...italic textbold text

[Edited by fantom5497 on 2004-07-13 16:01:46]

Quote:
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

What's the file 'readme.txt' in /lib/modules/fglrx got to say?

Quote:
kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include not found or incomplete
file: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

Can you find the file 'version.h' in /usr/src/linux/include/linux ?

I'll guess there isn't a /usr/src/linux directory, so the kernel include directory isn't
there either. You need to install and set up the kernel sources.

Is there an instruction specifically directing you to use the '--force' rpm parameter?
If there is, that's OK, I guess, but it's dangerous and should rarely be used, if ever.

Once you've got the kernel sources installed and set up,
Quote:
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.

... what it says.

Hi, thanks for answering.

Okay the kernel source code isnt installed, i found this out by going to the installed packages and looking for it. I put a tick in the 5/5 box and tried to install it, but it bombed out!

I then tried to just install the source files on their own and it said i needed to install something else (one of the other 5 packages, can't remember which one?) When i added this package, it bombed out again?

I think Fedora 1 is really buggy, i mean it makes Windows XP look reliable. My version of Fedora 1 bombs out there, at hardware browser and various other places. Its bombed out of apps on at least 5 occasions in the 2 days i've had it!

I bought Sams "Teach yourself Fedora in 24 hours", which comes with Fed core CD's 'Publishers Edition' whatever that is, but i presume its just a name for the free version to make it look like they're giving you something for free. I'm gonna install that on another machine and see if its just my CD thats causing the buggyness? I did burn it at 24 speed afterall, but the mandrake CD's were okay?

Originally posted by fantom5497:

Quote:
Hi, thanks for answering.

I think Fedora 1 is really buggy, i mean it makes Windows XP look reliable. My version of Fedora 1 bombs out there, at hardware browser and various other places. Its bombed out of apps on at least 5 occasions in the 2 days i've had it!

Richy, that has not been my experience at all. As compared to Redhat 9 and Mandrakes 9.1, 9.2 and 10, Fedora has been very stable and a breath of fresh air! I've never had any version of Red Hat or Fedora "bomb out" when running redhate-config-hardware. Have you downloaded all the upgrades using uptodate, apt-get rpm or yum?

Edit: Ooops! It just occured to me you have no way of downloading the updates! Sorry. Once you have Internet with Linux, and can download the updates, most of what you are experiencing will disappear. How are things going on the Internet front?

it's easy enough to have rpm tell you everything you need to have on hand to successfully

install a new package. Sometimes you have to collect all of the packages first and give

rpm a whole list of rpms (say, like, "*.rpm"\) and let rpm figure out which order to install

the packages.

When you say "bombed out," what exactly do you mean?

Error message(s), please.

Most likely you are experiencing one of two problems. The iso images are not burned correctly on the cd disks, as it is recommended that you burn the cd's at 4X or 8X. So, if the cd burn is not good, the packages will not install correctly.

Secondly, if you have a newer kernel installed than the kernel-source package that you are trying to install, then Mandrake will give you an error/warning message that you have a newer kernel installed in the system than the source package that you are attempting to install.

What we need is some indication of what the messages are that you are receiving while trying the manual install of the package to troubleshoot the issue.

Ok, as for buggy Fedora, my wife told me she mistakenly formatted the drive the iso's were on and then had to get them back with a file restore program.

"Hmmm... I wonder why it was full of bugs???"

Anyway, as for the ADSL, i telephoned Sagem communications today and it seems that the people there dont know how to get someone off hold without hanging up on them. I mean "Hello.... Hello, hello, is anyone there... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" isn't great tech support?

Maybe when they master graham bells new fangled telemofone they'll know why my modem doesn't work!

I'm currently speaking to you from a new Win XP install and i have a new ISO copy of Fedora on the other drive.

I'm gonna try to get the Modem working again whwn i get through to Sagem.

The ATI card i have to go through it again from scratch. So i'll start a new thread or update this one when i get stuck.

Thanks for all the help guys...

Richy the Linux Idiot...