Compatible Support Forums
pasnip2000

XP - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL !!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Originally posted by pasnip2000:

Quote:
HELP!

i have XP but would be massively grateful if you could help me with this little big problem. Basically Blue Screen of death seems to happen randomly, seems to be getting steadily more frequent as time goes by.

occasionally the whole pc just restarts and doesnt go to this blue screen but 90% of the time if it does suddenly restart it will go to this blue screen.

Just now it did it and it scared me because after pressing restart it wasnt booting anything and stopped on the very first screen of the start up. So shut it down and then it worked again and booted up fine.

Cant seem to pin point it to a program. Can work fine for hours using adobe premiere dealing with massive amounts of files on my 160gig harddrive and then sudenly crash opening a picture file or dreamweaver. I'm reasonably good with computers as they all say but when it comes down to insides of working and these blue screens i havent got a clue!!

All i know is it could be a RAM problem or Graphics card, but that is purely a guess so i just dont know.

Anyhelp would be very much appreciated.

Also big thing is cant defrag the drive , leave it for about 10 mins and come back to find teh blue screen again, the hardrive has never been defraged. Since dealing with a big harddrive thort it would be best to do, but i cant! That what brings me to think its a RAM problem but i duno! HELP!!!!!!!

MICROSOFT HOME EDITION xp

VERSION 2002

SERVICE PACK 1

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+

2.09 GHz

Ram - 1024mb

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is at the top

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. REALLY STUCK

this should help you also remove one of the memory or usb connector on the m/b and or change the videocard and see sometime disconnect the cd-cdrw-dvd and only use one: or u can use the hdd as an slave and formated on an other pc works forme don't know why. and it should do it. i'm fixing this pc im testing and it works

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory address that was improperly referenced.

IRQL that was required to access the memory.

Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).

Address of the instruction that attempted to reference memory specified in parameter 1.

If the last parameter is within the address range of a device driver used on your system, you can determine which device driver was running when the memory access occurred. You can typically determine the driver name by reading the line that begins with:

**Address 0xZZZZZZZZ has base at <address>- <driver name>

If the third parameter is the same as the first parameter, a special condition exists in which a system worker routine, carried out by a worker thread to handle background tasks known as work items, returned at a higher IRQL. In that case, some of the four parameters take on new meanings:

Address of the worker routine.

Kernel interrupt request level (IRQL).

Address of the worker routine.

Address of the work item.

Resolving the Problem

The following suggestions are specific to Stop 0xA errors. For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XP Professional, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP Professional, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates. For more information about simplifying your system for troubleshooting purposes, see " Troubleshooting Concepts and Strategies" and "Troubleshooting Startup" in this book.

For more information about Stop 0xA messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x0000000A, and 0xA.

Originally posted by pasnip2000:

Quote:
HELP!

i have XP but would be massively grateful if you could help me with this little big problem. Basically Blue Screen of death seems to happen randomly, seems to be getting steadily more frequent as time goes by.

occasionally the whole pc just restarts and doesnt go to this blue screen but 90% of the time if it does suddenly restart it will go to this blue screen.

Just now it did it and it scared me because after pressing restart it wasnt booting anything and stopped on the very first screen of the start up. So shut it down and then it worked again and booted up fine.

Cant seem to pin point it to a program. Can work fine for hours using adobe premiere dealing with massive amounts of files on my 160gig harddrive and then sudenly crash opening a picture file or dreamweaver. I'm reasonably good with computers as they all say but when it comes down to insides of working and these blue screens i havent got a clue!!

All i know is it could be a RAM problem or Graphics card, but that is purely a guess so i just dont know.

Also big thing is cant defrag the drive , leave it for about 10 mins and come back to find teh blue screen again, the hardrive has never been defraged. Since dealing with a big harddrive thort it would be best to do, but i cant! That what brings me to think its a RAM problem but i duno! HELP!!!!!!!

VERSION 2002

SERVICE PACK 1

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+

2.09 GHz

Ram - 1024mb

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is at the top

Technical information:

hi all.. im new here..

and i have a similiar problem that no-one seems to of had yet.

I only get the BSOD when i play a demanding game such as warcraft 3 or sims2 and when i get it... it says

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED

WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUTDOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER

IRQL_NOT-lESS_OR_EQUAL

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR MACHINE. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED

IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALLATION, ASK YOUR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY WINDOWS UPDATES YOU MIGHT NEED.

IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE, DISBLE OR REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

***STOP***: 0X0000000A

(0X0343A8E2, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804EA943)

BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE

CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMIN OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT GROUP FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.

also when i restart the machine.. it says its generated an error report and when i click more info.. it displays:

ERROR REPORT

Error Signiture

BCCODE:1000008E BCP1:C0000005 BCP2:BFC814E2 BCP3 B98EBA98

BCP4: 00000000 0Sver:5_1_2600 SP: 0_0 Product: 256_1

The computer specs are as follows:

INTEL® Celeron® CPU 1.70GHz

1.70GHz

512mb of RAM

80GIG HD

GForce2 graphics

Onboard sound

and it dials via internal 56k modem

please can someone help

Thanks in advance

Looks like some driver tried write to pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL) (driver used an incorrect memory address).

Does the BSOD mention any filename?

1st) Check your memory with this:

http://www.memtest.org/

2nd) Update all your drivers.

<offtopic>

If I am reading correctly from this:

BCCODE:1000008E BCP1:C0000005 BCP2:BFC814E2 BCP3 B98EBA98

BCP4: 00000000 0Sver:5_1_2600 SP: 0_0 Product: 256_1

you have not installed any service packs? For your 'own' safety, it is recommend to install service pack 2.

</offtopic>

ok.. it doesnt mention any file names (which is why i found it weird) i have run a memory test and found no errors.. and all the drivers are updated.. i am currently downloading SP2 and will keep you updated on wat happens

Thanks for quick response

I had this problem; something about a network problem; tried to repair windows and it didn't work. Tried to re-install windows XP and then IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL kept popping up.

I came here to check for solutions and checked several other places.

Anyway, my solution was to pull all the cards and connections that were not necessary to try to narrow it down by trying to re-install each time.

It was my network card.

Hope this helps!

I too have had the exact same problem many atime, all but one time it was a corrupted or outdated A drive I had to replace it with a new one and it worked fine but maybe you could download the newest one and then uninstall it and then re-install it with the newer version

To those having the BSOD's, computer spontaneously rebooting on them without notice, system not booting into Windows, computer automatically shutting down when least expected etc., & other mysterious troublesome issues take a look here:

http://www.badcaps.net/

From the site:

"Over the years, there have been massive quantities of name-brand, high quality motherboards failing prematurely due to these faulty electrolytic capacitors used in their manufacturing process. This has doomed MANY popular and expensive brands of motherboards, including: Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Supermicro, DFI, Dell, Hewlett Packard, IBM, and MANY more! "

System Faults:

Motherboard fails to POST.

Memory Test Fails.

System randomly and/or constantly reboots itself.

Fails to fully boot (or even install) Operating System.

System randomly and frequently freezes.

Random & frequent 'Blue Screens of Death'

BSoD or hard freeze under heavy drive activity (Either RAID, SCSI, or standard ATA)

CPU temps abnormally higher than usual under typical or less load.

*CPU VCORE & other system voltages are erratic or far out of tolerances.

Resetting the system after a freeze and the system will not repost.

(You have to completely power down then power back up.)

Could be a bad capacitor(s) on your motherboard or power supply.

Check out the detailed pictures & how to identify faulty capacitors:

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

I was having similar issues as many describe here. My computer would suddenly reboot at random. And I was getting the BSODS as well. Tried replacing ram, graphics card, up[censored] drivers, & running Memtest software & so on, to no luck. Turns out there were 4 bad capacitors on my computer's motherboard shocked! After those were replaced the problems ceased to exist and the computer ran much more stable as result. Hope this helps someone here in solving the computer headaches.

cheers,

Vince

I am here because I just experienced the BSOD "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Prior to this happening, I had installed "Aquazone virtual aquarium" Screensaver by Allume Systems. Included in this BSOD message, was a small message that my ialmrnt5 display driver had failed to work. This display driver is for the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV 6/21/05 version 6.14.10.4342. Intel's website has a message that it no longer manufactures this driver, nor does it support it or offer any further updates for it. This is the top update you can get for this driver. Therefore, if you have this particular display driver, the only assumption I can make is that you will need to update your graphics card. One last thing I am going to try is to update my DirectX. I have version 9, but noticed that this screensaver program requires 6.1 or better, and installs version 8.0 in it's package. I'm thinking if I re-install 9.0, maybeeeeee it might do something. I doubt it, but one can only hope. My suggestion is to check your graphics chipset and if it is the 82845G or similar, that is probably the problem.

I had the same problem as many of you.

a memory dump occurred with the famed BSOD:

"

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

stop: 0x0000000A (0x000000AF, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8050FA26)

"

[there was no other notable data.]

Here is the background:

I had been having problems restarting and loading into windows after the "Welcome" screen. Windows would tend to freeze about 15 seconds after displaying the Welcome screen, whether or not I logged in, this stayed relatively consistent. I was only able to get into Windows desktop upon a sacrifice to the computer god of toil and hair-pulling.

Up until the point of this error I had been experiencing some weird screen-tick when playing BF2 and various Valve games. In the middle of playing my screen would go black like the videocard was trying to change resolutions. This was normally harmless except that it would be aggrivating to gameplay.

Finally, in the middle of connecting to a CS source game server I experienced a game crash and then the system let out a f'd up screeching/static/chirping cacaphony of terror. I flipped the power switch and began to troubleshoot.

My solution:

I read much of the entries on the forum, and decided the problem may rest with my videocard or my soundcard. I'd recently done a driver reinstall of the soundcard, which is why i suspected that as well.

I went into safe mode with netoworking and downloaded "Nasty File Remover," the driver for my videocard, and the driver for my soundcard. I had to restart and get back into safe mode to make sure that I got rid of all references to the previous files.

Using Nasty file remover I removed all associated drivers for my Nvidia card and Creative SB Audigy 2.

I then installed the audio, restarted, went back into Safe Mode and repeated the process with the Video.

So far, This has fixed my freezing problems and sped up my computer a bit. Hopefully this will hold out as a solution for me, and hopefully it will work for some others as well.

I'm posting this as thanks for the posts before me that helped to fix my broken computer.

System

ASUS p4c800-e deluxe running bios 1022

P4 2.8ghz w/HT

1024 MB corsair 400 DDR

GeForce FX5900 Ultra

SB Audigy 2

120Gb Western Digital HD

400GB maxtor HD

Logitech wireless MX laser mouse

Microsoft keyboard

i got IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error after installing usb keyboard. i accidentally removed my old ps/2 keyboard while power was still on (10 seconds later and i wouldn't have had the problem at all i think). removing the keyboard while hot apparently caused the ps/2 port to fry.

after numerous reboots, googling and tweaking bios i found solution. i disabled the ps/2 ports from bios. now they don't use IRQs and there's no conflict. i'm using usb mouse also so i could easily drop both ports.

Hi!

I am having this same problem...

Well, in fact, I've had it for a long time.

It happened after I flashed my bios to be able to install a new 500G HD :P

I found out that my problem was RAM related

I have 2*512 RAM cards

When I remove one, everything works fine

But if I use the two cards, I get this error...

I didn't really mind having only 512M for the time being but right now I need more RAM 'cause of the applications I use...

Anyone know why I can't use both RAM cards?

And how to resolve this problem so I can use both?

Thanks!

having this same problem thought mabye i had a bad virus on my windows Xp copied disk went out and bought a new XP disk and a new hard drive still having this same problem any ideas.

this same comuter and board and chip was running Xp no problem.

only started seing this problem after i formate this origanl hard drive with MSDOS 6.22 and now cant get rid of it.

i have reset my bios to last good CONFIG

What make and model motherboard are you using? Posting some specs. may be helpful, as most of these messages are a result of incompatible hardware for the motherboard, or faulty hardware.

Ditto on the hard drive.

Format the hard drive to NTFS. You can make a boot disk with the hard drive manufacturer's utility disk and format the drive. For example, if it is a Maxtor drive, use their Maxblast software.

The RAM is the same with no mixing of makes and types, as recommended by the motherboard manufacturer?

ok heres what i got.....

bsod>irql not less or equal>system reboots>error report>WLAN CARD is the problem....thats where i lose you all.

im running a very old thinkpad t41 2373 7fu

i did what microsoft told me to do and now i only get the pesky BSOD when connecting or disconnecting to the internet or when restarting. sometimes 10-20 times in a row.

i now have a partition that i didnt want and im POOR:-(

please tell me i can fix this without buying another wlan card.

first thing first heres what im running>>>>>>

system:microsoft xp pro

version 2002 service pack 2

intel pentium m processor 1600 MHz

1.59GHz,512MB of ram

network adapters:

intel pro/wireless lan 2100 3B PCI adapter which states"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

(also disabled intel pro/1000 MT mobile connection)

just kick me if this is tmi

resource settings:

memory range C0214000 - C0214fff

IRQ 11

no conflicts

heres what i got.....

bsod>irql not less or equal>system reboots>error report>WLAN CARD is the problem....thats where i lose you all.

im running a very old thinkpad t41 2373 7fu

i did what microsoft told me to do and now i only get the pesky BSOD when connecting or disconnecting to the internet or when restarting. sometimes 10-20 times in a row.

i now have a partition that i didnt want and im POOR:-(

please tell me i can fix this without buying another wlan card.

oh btw i didnt have anything to back up so i restored to factory settings several times(used comp so no copy of windows to install after full reformat),downloaded all updates,drivers,sp2 and no matter what ......bsod

i tried the lenovo forums but it seems no one looks at them ?!

and from what i can remember of the blue screen is that its different sometimes when consecutively rebooting.

sometimes it has the file dump stop message and other times it doesnt. sometimes it says to disable bios caching or shadowing...which i have no idea how...

sorry for the repeat my edit time expired

Hi to everyone,

Hope this added info helps others. I got the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD, and also a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA crash BSOD. I took the advice in a few forums and slowed the memory bus in BIOS. In my case, I limited it to 166 MHz from 200 MHz. FIXED! :rolleyes: The system has been stable for days, when before it stopped with a BSOD randomly every hour or so.

I also noted that my (cheap) power supply voltages are significantly off from the 3.3, 5, and 12 V specs. I plan to RnR with a quality power supply, too.

System Specs:

Windows XP 64 bit edition on:

Asus A8V-X Motherboard w/ Athlon 64 3200+

1 GB dual DDR PC2700 RAM

250 GB SATA II HDDs in AHCI RAID 1

Asus Geforce 7600GS AGP

On board NIC and HD audio

I too had the same problem while installing xp. My hardware config is AMD athalon 2600+, 512MB ram, M7ncg400 motherboard from biostar. After installing xp the blue screen stops, however the system randomly reboots after a blank screen.

After rebooting displays the ever present "Recovered from serious error" message of windows.

The error signature is as follows.

Error Signature:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : C69E0000 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : BF819D18

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0

Product : 256_1

After a lot of trials, tricks & research on the net the following seems to work.

1. Disable write combing in adapter setting.

2. Set FSB in bios(advanced chip setting) to 133 instead of 166.

3. Set SPD to auto in memory setting.

However one flaw of this method is both bios & OS report your processor as 2000+(1.5ghz) at 266mhz ddr instead of 2600+(1.9ghz) 333mhz ddr.

Still trying to work around the problem for a permanent solution.

Let me know if any of you succeed.

Kannan(India)

I know that this thread is quite old, but unfortunately I've started to randonly get that irql_not_less_or_equal on my XP Home machine.

Tried everything advised, but no luck...No, I haven't installed anything new, and tried Windows restore point to a date before this all trouble started. I understand (also from what Microsoft is saying)that another possible reason for this irql_not_less_or_equal is a problematic driver (video? sound?) - would reinstalling all my system and device drivers be able to solve the problem? I really prefer no to do that, but if there's no other option...please advise!

Hey you guys. Your Machine just over heat it!

Believe it or not, I have the same problem with you guys long ago, and cannot do anything to fix this problem. But recently my PC work perfectly fine for a long period of time. Its cost from $10.00 to $20.00 US only. All depend how much you want to spend for it.

After I have tried everything like most people in here have said about it. But it didn’t work. Some people even said because I got some virus that went deep inside of my Bios chip; I must go get some kind of special software to remove it out before I can do anything else after that. Sound like I got deep in trouble isn’t it?

Do you want to know how I fixed this?

After I got told by and expert recommended about that solution, I wonder what kind of the virus could go deep inside of my Bios Chip? Forget all about that, I just format my hard drive C and reload windows XP again. During the time that I reload windows XP, my PC was stops for several times with the dead blue screen on me. However, I went through all of that trouble by keep trying again and again until the windows reload was completed.

Right after I re-set up windows XP, I took a double electric windows fan and open my PC cover out to let the fan cool down the machine while I’m using it. Waa la … it works perfectly fine since then until now for more than three months long. Hey … would you guys like to try? Turn off the fan let see what happened.

I wonder. Is the fan make the virus goes sleep inside of my PC? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have fun and let me know if this work for all of you ok. :lol:B):whistle::rolleyes:

Nitwit MD

HELP!

VERSION 2002

SERVICE PACK 1

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+

2.09 GHz

Ram - 1024mb

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is at the top

Technical information: