Compatible Support Forums
pasnip2000

XP - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL !!! PLEASE HELP!!!

I have the same problem, same mesage and similar system to the person post at the beggining, I just want to know if someone at the end fix it, my wish its that the software I use be made for linux, cant wait to the moment of dont use windows any more, first the sell it to you and then leave us with the problem, where are you bill come and give some solutions to this crap shocked

Almost the same problems are solved in my case. Thanks laugh

Description:

Logitech mouse ware 8.3

Windows XP Professional, servicepack 1

IBM R50 laptop.

No problems, until after implementing XP service Pack 2.

After installing XP SP2 and rebooting (no mouse attached) all went well, until I attached the mouse. The blue screen appeared.

After downloading/installing logitech mouseware 9.7.91 no more blue screens, but also no pointer movement.

Pushing Update Driver, and letting XP do the search for a driver, the pointer moves again when I move the mouse.

I've seen this problem when there is a Hard Drive (HD) bigger and greater than 60 gigs. Why you ask, cause the BIOS is only able to read and handle 60 gigs to run comfortably.

For instince, about 5 or 6 years ago, BIOS manufactures were having problems with HD's larger than 2 gigs. You had a choice, either have one large drive with no partitions or have multiple partitions of 2 cause the BIOS couldn't understand one larger partition and one small partition.

As you noticed, manufactures have overcome that obstacle. But with today's BIOS being so diverse, its able to recongize and work at different levels. Having one large drive or having multiple partitions, today's BIOS can work with them all. Unfortunatly, we are still at a limitation as before. If you have a 160 gig HD that's not partitioned in any way, then you might have some problems. I had a 200 gig that was giving me problems every month. I kept getting BS and system logs didn't help any. There is a problem with XP as well managing Page Swapping and memory with a HD that big.

Actually, anything over 60 gigs, you might have problems later on that's not partitioned. Its best to partition a HD at 60 gigs and less. XP, large HD's, and todays BIOS is reason enough to partition your HD. You don't want to be in the situation where you have a BS and no extra HD's around to back up your data to.

Check for an updated version of the BIOS, test your memory to make sure it's not faulty, and check your HD for bad sectors as well.

I'd like to add my experience and hope it may be of some help. I was getting this error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

However, At least I could reproduce the situation and every time it would bsod with the same error. I went down the hardware path thinking it was video card, ram, psu etc. but after replacing all of the above (it's handy having 4 or more working computers ) I was about to do the old c:\ format and reinstall everything. this is an annoying way to do things but sometimes the only apparent solution, but then I tried one last thing after about 25 or so one last things and remembered i had a cd emulator running which brings up a ghost cd drive in "my computer". once it was disabled no more IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error and problem solved. Dasha.

ive got the same problem this problem is extremely annoying! , i recently just got new RAM 1024 now, it seems to work fine, its when its loading up a program usually i see the screen.

It never happens when restarting

It could be that the IRQ ports or something are getting confused with each other.. its more than likely something to do with WinXP

Im also thinking it could just be AMD!, because ive read all the posts and 90% of the people have a AMD computer which there are not 100% realiable i have a AMD, they wear themselves out quicker than Intel i find because they are more speedier than intel.

My specs are:

AMD 2400+ Sempron

1024mb RAM

Geforce 5600XT 256MB

80GB HDD

The thing that usually works is defragment or renewing all the drivers.. which in easier cases format

Which i cant do because i have like 50GB+ of stuff that are really important and i cant put 50gb worth to discs, so im boogered frown

it COULD also be the startup programs since ive got somin like dumprep in my startup progs, dunno what it is but cant get rid of it.

If someone knows a 100% cure for this prob PLZZZZZZ lemme know

THE SOLUTION

THE SOLUTION

I fought installing windows.. I have installed it on the same hardware many times before... but this evening it just wouldn't work, any of the 10 times I tried with different configs and hardware.

THE SOLUTION

To solve the problem... Just make sure your master drive is jumpered right... and the DVD burner jumpered right!

(mine are master - master on different IDEs)

I put master disk at the last connector of the primary IDE and the DVD burner at the last connector as master on the secondary IDE.

And like magic... It worked.

THE SOLUTION

THE SOLUTION

hey everybody. I notice that everyone like to post their cpu and memory and video card, but how about your Power Supply???? ok, i know it sounds lame, but check out what AMD recomends for your power supply and buy one of those brands. I swear I had this same problem, first with installing, then with just running windows xp, bought myself an AMD recomended power supply and all was fixed.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL --> SOLUTION!!!

I know you all heard this before, but here it is, for real this time:

THE SOLUTION!!!

Step 1:

First of all, you must find out exactly what is causing the problem. You do this by disabling auto rebooting when the BSOD appears. Here's how you do that:

1. Right click "My Computer" and select "Properties"

2. Select the "Advanced" tab

3. Under "Startup and Recovery" click the "Settings" button (the third of the three "Settings" buttons) --> A new window pops up

4. In the window that has just popped up, uncheck (turn off) "Automatically restart" under "System Failure"

5. Do not change any of the other settings unless you know what you are doing!!!

6. Click "Ok" to close the window and then click "Ok" again to close the Properties panel for My Computer.

Step 2:

1. Repeat doing whatever it is that seems to cause your computer to strangely reboot

2. When you have finaly succeded, your system will freeze and the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) will stay on your screen until you are ready to manually reset the computer (using the reset button on your case)

3. There will be a lot of unintelligible things written on your screen, but somewhere in the lower third of your screen, under "Technical information", you will see the name of the file that causes the crashes. (The name of the file usually looks like this: whatever.sys Examples: NVMCP.SYS; USBPORT.SYS and so on) Write that down.

The cause of the crashes is a driver that doesen't seem to get along with Windows XP very well. In other words, a file that is part of the driver for a device installed on your computer is causing the BSOD.

Step 3:

Identify the device that nasty file is associated to and update the driver for that device (by update, I don't necessarily mean installing a newer driver, but any driver with which your computer will work fine, even if it's a much older version). Here's how you do that:

1. Right click "My Computer" and select "Properties"

2. Select the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button --> A new window pops up

3. In the Device Manager, select the device that you think that filename might be pointing to (if you have no clue whatsoever what device the file might be referring to, try random devices. You will most likely find the device that causes the problem in one of the following categories: Display adaptors, Audio devices, USB devices, Network devices)

4. Right click the device and select "Properties" --> A new window pops up

5. In the Properties panel, select the "Driver" tab and click the "Driver Details..." button --> Yet another window pops up

6. In the new window, all the files that make up the driver for that device are shown. If you find the same filename that pops up on the BSOD, you have found the device that is causing you trouble.

7. When you have identified the device whose driver needs up[censored], simply reinstall the driver for that device and try to cause the BSOD. If it doesen't bother you again, your problem is solved. If it pops up again and the same filename is displayed within it, change the driver again and again until the BSOD no longer appears.

*8. To update your driver automaticly (it sould work and it's the easiest way, but I don't recommend it), clode the window displaying the driver details and simply click the "Update driver button". The rest of the process is guided by a wizard and it should be easy to follow.

I hope that many of your problems can be solved this way.

Se ya all around!

P.S. The problem initially reported has nothing to do with the jumper settings of your hard drives, the position on the IDE cable. All it has to do with is drivers. --> I am reffering to the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem

Hi, I have a similar problem. Recently I had an error as windows was starting to load, it said "Missing NTLDR" (or similar). I looked around on the net abit and most solutions were to repair windows XP using the instalation. So I poped that in and started to repair it. It deleated some files reinstalled some then restarted.

There is no NTLDR error, then letting it boot from the hard drive it started loading files for XP.

After I agree to the licence agreement it starts to "Installing devises" once this about a third of the way the monitor starts to flicker at intervals of about 5-10 seconds, then the mouse stops working, starts working, then stops. At the end of "Installing devices the mouse starts to work again and the BSOD comes up with:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It also has:

Stop x000000A followed by numbers/letters in brackets

any sugestions? thanks felix

Hi its me who posted the last question I took out a USB mouse beacause of the remarks about a brand of mouses earlier in the article, and it stoped the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD from comming up, the monitor still flickered. It got right to the end then came up with a box about some software not passing logo testing I hit OK (using keyboard) and it continued without problems.

If anyone is having the same error message I think it might be USB mouse trouble (perhaps any USB devices)

the mouse I was using was a laser mouse that said "connectland" on the top, and "souris optiqu model ms-019O" with other stuff on the bottom.

Its probably a good idea to use a PS\2 mouse for a while and see if the problem stops.

hope this may have helped Felix

Yeah I have to agree, A power supply can be a huge culprit. I have used Premiere since 4.0 on MANY systems and never had issues like you describe.

I always recommend disabling as much as possible in the BIOS when doing a WinXP install. Not crucial stuff, but things like onboard audio, network, firewire, USB (unless you need it), unused ports, etc. That way if you enable something and suddenly start having issues, you know exactly what it is.

Hey ive got the same problem, (that my computer gets to the irql not less or equal blue screen)

cept my situation is a little different...

it only happens when i try to start in safe mode but its not just occasionally.. its everytime, ive never been able to boot up in safe mode. i also thought it was my ram except ive taken out a stick at a time since i have two... and i try booting up wiht one. and with both sticks, it still got to that blue screen.

i was trying to boot up in safe mode to delete something by pushing F8 cept i kept getting to that blue screen so i tried setting the computer to boot up in safe mode from msconfig not realizing i wouldnt be able to change it back after shutting down the computer...

so my real problem is that i need to restore the msconfig file back to the original one. i found the command for system restore from command prompt except i cant figure out how to get to the command prompt.

what ive done so far is.. my friend has used the recovery console and did "fixbootmbr" and then after doing that.. it said ntldr is missing which really pissed me off cuz he said he knew what to do.. but i got the ntldr file back and im back to where i started.. now i just need to get the msconfig file back. or something...

ne ideas would be sooooooo appreciated

i do remember running chkdsk except i dont recall what it said ill do that again and repost it.

hey all,

just joined this site, i was facing the BSOD on a new install. because i have not ever built a computer from scratch this was my first one. thought i knew what to do, guess not. At any rate, i dont know all the parameters of this machine, but soon as i get it booted up i will post them here for you all to see.

I was facing the BSOD on a linux install, thought first it was my disks corrupted, then i tried several different distros, still no go. didnt want windows on the new machine, but succumbed to trying to install it. BSOD great, then i blamed it on my maxtor hard drive, just becuase i have had bad luck with maxtor, went and bought a new seagate hdd. installed it, BSOD. man i was furious. Searched the almighty google for the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error found this site, upon reading a few of the posts, i noticed it said something about badly timed RAM, and also seen it mentioned secondary cd or dvd roms. I disconnected the machine, pulled the wires from my DVD drive leaving only the cdrom connected, pulled the wires from my zip drive. noticed the ram was placed in bank 1 and bank 3, yes i done that, didnt think it made a difference. so i placed the 256 DDR sticks in banks 1 and banks 2. plugged her back up and she is now installing. So as to say exactly what it was that resolved the issue i dont know, as i probably had more than one issue causing the BSOD, so i went to the basics of the install, just my primary needs, vid card, cdrom, floppy. and of course setting the ram in sequential banks.

so i just wanted to thank all who have posted here, now i am going to uninstall windows, and try RH again now that i see i can install the OS.

later all

dosdawgs_inc

http://dosdawgs.com

[size:4]I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!![/color]

[size:14]I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!![/color]

[size:13]I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!![/color]

[size:12]I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!![/color]

[size:11]I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!![/color]

I read this thread and tried the following and my bluescreens stoped altogether. I am prety sure it was from up[censored] my video card drivers. My second guess is that it was the Virtual drive on my computer.

-Changed the cable on the hard drive to the end connector and double checked it being set as master.

-Found a different (older version) of my video drivers and installed them.

-Unpluged all USB connectors and used PS/2.

-Closed DAEMON tools and set number of virtual drives to 0.

One or a few of these things worked for me. So i hope this post lightens someone's day!

Let me know if I can help any: ericgreer at gmail dot com .

thanks guys!

I have the exact same problem with my laptop pavillion Zv5267la

My computer info is:

Intel P4 2.80 ghz

640 RAM

128 Mb ATI Radeon 9000/9100 IGP (cant update driver with catalyst because an error appears when i try to install the update)

Windows Xp home

I hope someone can help me with this is getting me sick.. Im guessing has something to do with the video card.. If so? how can I update it because i cant even do that.. somehow installing the driver says something about not recognizing any video card.. that i should install a VGA driver or something like that, dont remember.

Anyway.

Thank you

email me if you want to gvelis@hotmail.com

well it sounds to me like you have a problem with the drivers for your USB ports. On my win xp pro pc i had a similar problem which was caused by putting a high speed USB device into a USB port that wasn't high speed. Eventually we discovered it was a problem with our Zone Alarm firewall system (as well as not having installed our USB drivers). So i suggest disabling your firewall when not using the internet.

Hi,

now I have something which I could not find in all this very helpful site: I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 NOTEBOOK (!) which had the mentionend IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on shutting down - but as it wasn't frequently updated I thought well - what the heck - gimme all there ist to it from Microsoft and Norton. Everything installed fine, looked great - thought I'll reboot this baby and I'm fine.

Now comes the problem. The mashine will start booting XP but when switching over to full-res screen the BSOD will appear - EVEN IN SAFE MODE!!! And no related driver information.

What I did try: swapping RAM with other notebooks and running memtest: all ok. Entering in the recovery console and renaming EVERYTHING related to Norton/Symantec. Can't make a repair istall as I only have XP recovery disks and need to get data from the HDD. Have a 2000 boot disk from which I used the recovery console.

Tried booting knoppix Linux-on-cd, but that will fail on registering acpi-components. starting knoppix noacpi - gives no cure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600

PIII 800MHz 256kb cache

256MB RAM

20GB disk

Trident(?)-compatible video

intel 815 chipset

Guess intel 82820 Sound chip

Regards,

Burkhard

Hello:

I recently bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX video card and started to get a these IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD errors. I have researched around a bit, and I have seem a very common thing. Out of the 35 threads (around the internet) that I have read 32 of the people have a NVIDIA graphics card.

Like I said above I have been running XP and Windows2k on 2 different machines for years. Never had any problems until I bought this NVIDIA 128MB video card. I stuck it into my Win2K and nearly immediately had the BSOD error. I thought well.. maybe is a Win2K problem. So I stuck it into my XP.. I received the same exact error.

I have done just about every single thing a person can do to try to fix this error, for the last 6 months. I have finally seddled on pulling the card and not using it.

I suggest anyone with an NVIDIA graphics card (not on the motherboard obviously) to take out the video card and see if you still receive the errors.

If you don't... the NVIDIA card stikes again... good luck!

There are some people who use nVidia cards and drivers and never see this message. It is sometimes known as the infinite loop phenomenon. As far as I know, no one has found the solution. Some install different drivers and seemingly never have another problem. Anyway, if you are up for it and want to see whether or not you can ever use the card. Be sure that the nvidia drivers are completely cleaned out of your system since the residue of old drivers will cause your machine to have problems. Go here and download Drivercleaner from Driverheaven: http://www.drivercleaner.net/ Use the program in safe mode in Windows.

Put your card in, bring it up and install your drivers. Then, the fun begins - Most of the errors come up when using the Net or playing games. If you have the problem when surfing the net, what you will need to do is bring up taskmanager and watch the amount of memory that your programs are using. It seems that programs that use .net framework are the programs that sometimes conflict with nvidia drivers because they too use some .net programing. What I have found happening is that a program, like Cookie Crusher, which is usually very well behaved will for no reason blow up in its memory use from between 25,000 to 50,000 to as high as 250,000 in memory usage. When that happens "hello BSOD". In otherwords what is usually called a "memory error" is nothing other than running out of resources. Some LCD monitors require you to put software to run in the background of your machine, so that you can turn your monitor 90 degrees and the text flips to accomodate the rotation. Some of that software also causes difficulties. ATI also now requires .net to be installed, and those drivers are beginning to produce similar errors. Ultimately, this is something Microsoft needs to address.

As you said, however, there are a lot of people who just take out their nVidia cards and look elsewhere.

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

Is caused by a large paging file. Usually results in improperly shutting down or infrequent shutdowns.

to repair this .

Go To control panel/click on system Icon/ advanced tab. Performance options button. click on change button. Chnage initial size and max size to 0 . reboot....when rebooting will be prompted that windows will repair paging file. Should resolve problem. If happens frequently. Possibly hard drive failure. replace HD.

Is caused by a large paging file. Usually results in improperly shutting down or infrequent shutdowns.

to repair this .

Go To control panel/click on system Icon/ advanced tab. Performance options button. click on change button. Chnage initial size and max size to 0 . reboot....when rebooting will be prompted that windows will repair paging file. Should resolve problem. If happens frequently. Possibly hard drive failure. replace HD.

Originally posted by preiman:

Quote:

to repair this .

Actually, you should set your paging file manually, 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM you have for intitial size, 4 times physical RAM for maximum size, if you have less than 1gig. 1gig and up of RAM, you can lose the paging file altogether if you so desire, RAM is much faster than using the paging file to write to the HDD. wink

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
1gig and up of RAM, you can lose the paging file altogether if you so desire, RAM is much faster than using the paging file to write to the HDD. wink

Not entirely true as the OS will page anyway even if paging is turned off.

I would copy/paste from this article but it is copyrighted so here is a link to the HTML file.

Understanding Virtual Memory

Hey Guys....

I also had the same problem. And i figured out, it sometihig to do with my RAM. Bcos I have 3 DIMM modules (129MB) I removed all modules and tryed rebooting the PC with one module. I did the same thing for 3 RAM modules in three times, and with one module I got the same problem. So Im now working with 2 RAM modules so far its seems to be ok. But the only thing i noticed is my graphic acceleration is little bit slow. I guess it also could be ok if i install the XPSP2. If any one have any other solutions pls mail to : venura@gmail.com