Compatible Support Forums
pasnip2000

XP - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL !!! PLEASE HELP!!!

HELP!

i have XP but would be massively grateful if you could help me with this little big problem. Basically Blue Screen of death seems to happen randomly, seems to be getting steadily more frequent as time goes by.

occasionally the whole pc just restarts and doesnt go to this blue screen but 90% of the time if it does suddenly restart it will go to this blue screen.

Just now it did it and it scared me because after pressing restart it wasnt booting anything and stopped on the very first screen of the start up. So shut it down and then it worked again and booted up fine.

Cant seem to pin point it to a program. Can work fine for hours using adobe premiere dealing with massive amounts of files on my 160gig harddrive and then sudenly crash opening a picture file or dreamweaver. I'm reasonably good with computers as they all say but when it comes down to insides of working and these blue screens i havent got a clue!!

All i know is it could be a RAM problem or Graphics card, but that is purely a guess so i just dont know.

Anyhelp would be very much appreciated.

Also big thing is cant defrag the drive , leave it for about 10 mins and come back to find teh blue screen again, the hardrive has never been defraged. Since dealing with a big harddrive thort it would be best to do, but i cant! That what brings me to think its a RAM problem but i duno! HELP!!!!!!!

MICROSOFT HOME EDITION xp

VERSION 2002

SERVICE PACK 1

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+

2.09 GHz

Ram - 1024mb

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is at the top

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. REALLY STUCK

Quote:
USBPORT.SYS

What USB devices are you running? Look for some updated drivers for the USB device and / or the USB controller.

These stop errors are almost impossible to read. You can get some that tell you it is a driver when it is really a faulty font. So, take this with a grain of salt.

My guess is that when Windows is swapping from memory to the hard disk, something is where it is not supposed to be and so it stops. How does this happen? When XP first came out, it shut down so fast that the write procedure to the disk telling its index where it left off didn't complete itself. This caused untold hard disk problems.

If it were me, I would back up all my data, emails, address book, etc., onto CD's. I would reformat that hard disk through a clean install.

It could be your video card, but because you can't chkdsk your hard drive, I would count it as the primary suspect.

Extra, extra, read all about it!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810980

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if you use a Logitech mouse and the version of the Logitech MouseWare program that is installed on the computer is outdated. This behavior is known to occur with Logitech MouseWare versions 9.10 and 9.24.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, remove the Logitech MouseWare program from the computer and then update to the latest version of Logitech MouseWare.

For more information about how to remove Logitech MouseWare from the computer, see the program documentation or contact Logitech. For more information about how to obtain and install the latest version of Logitech MouseWare, contact Logitech at the following Logitech Web site:

http://www.logitech.com

I have the same problem accept the fact that i have no operating system installed its when im installing Win-XP Home or Pro that i get this message, so its not that logitech mouse solution or any other that i have come accross yet

I am having the same problem. Over the last three days have narrowed it down to an ati video driver. However, I have gone to www.ati.com and grabbed the drivers, but during install get a warning that I do not have the proper hardware or software installed. Upon closer examination of the download page, it is stated that Service Pack 1 or greater should be installed before. Tha problem is that SP1 takes to long to download and install. I do not have enough time to download and install before blue screen. This all started when downloaded and installed SP2. I have since reinstalled from recovery cds approx. 8 times. Any suggestions?

Marshall Giroir

Yes... Had tried that, but when in safe mode with networking...unable to access the internet. My network is wireless. Even in safe mode get blue BSOD. Another install from restore CDs, everything fine. Finally got SP2 installed (no more blue screens). Started installing all of my regular software, and after installed Roxio Easy Creator 5 Basic with patch. After just a few seconds, blue screen again. Just restored using System Restore. Tried to copy files from a cd (made with Roxio) to hard drive and another blue screen. Currently trying another restore point.

Will advise as soon as I can. Thanks

Marshall Giroir

UPDATE...

Problem still resides. Definitely ati driver.

Tried the following, as recommended by the windows error reporting (after receiving STOP Error: Thread stuck in driver

<b>WORKAROUND</b>

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.

On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.

Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.

Click OK, and then click OK.

Note This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

MORE INFORMATION

This Stop error message may also occur in video adapter drivers that do not represent a physical device. For example, this Stop error message may occur in the virtual video adapter driver that is used by Symantec PCAnywhere. If PCAnywhere is installed on a computer where this error message occurs, visit the Symantec Web site to determine if there are any available fixes for your version of PCAnywhere.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

This did not resolve the issue. Still getting blue screens. Head starting to hurt after pounding head against wall stopped...

NEXT...

Marshall Giroir

There are unnecessary processes being started that are causing the problem. Have Windows XP sort them out by following these directions:

1. Go to Start>Run> type MSCONFIG.

2. When the box appears, click on the STARTUP tab.

3. Select DISABLE ALL, then hit APPLY then hit OKAY.

4. Reboot and get rid the MSCONFIG splash screen when it appears upon reboot.

5. If you are prompted to reboot again, do so.

You will no longer be bothered by the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen. The processes that you DO need were automatically re-enabled when you did the reboot. You should be in good shape now.

Hi,

just do the following and the same will be resolved,

1)Restart your PC in safe mode and remove and security patch and any driver you recently installed or updated.restart the system normally and see

2) uninstall the service packs and run the PC in safe mode fro three four times it will replace the registry and your problem should be resolve.

3)if not ok with the previous ones restart in safe mode go to device manager remove all hardware from the list and restart the system now install things in a sequence and cancel all others after installing one in one time let it start and see the condition, do repeat this until you got an error or the stable system.

this will definitely resolve your problems.

GM

Originally posted by pasnip2000:

Quote:
HELP!

i have XP but would be massively grateful if you could help me with this little big problem. Basically Blue Screen of death seems to happen randomly, seems to be getting steadily more frequent as time goes by.

occasionally the whole pc just restarts and doesnt go to this blue screen but 90% of the time if it does suddenly restart it will go to this blue screen.

Just now it did it and it scared me because after pressing restart it wasnt booting anything and stopped on the very first screen of the start up. So shut it down and then it worked again and booted up fine.

Cant seem to pin point it to a program. Can work fine for hours using adobe premiere dealing with massive amounts of files on my 160gig harddrive and then sudenly crash opening a picture file or dreamweaver. I'm reasonably good with computers as they all say but when it comes down to insides of working and these blue screens i havent got a clue!!

All i know is it could be a RAM problem or Graphics card, but that is purely a guess so i just dont know.

Anyhelp would be very much appreciated.

Also big thing is cant defrag the drive , leave it for about 10 mins and come back to find teh blue screen again, the hardrive has never been defraged. Since dealing with a big harddrive thort it would be best to do, but i cant! That what brings me to think its a RAM problem but i duno! HELP!!!!!!!

MICROSOFT HOME EDITION xp

VERSION 2002

SERVICE PACK 1

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+

2.09 GHz

Ram - 1024mb

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

is at the top

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. REALLY STUCK

HI ITS ME AGAIN, THE ORIGINAL POSTER OF TEH QUESTION, thanks for all the help. well what i eventually did was... get a new mboard, new processor, reinstaled widows and wlal lovely jubly.

However it has been working fine for the last couple of months, till last nite wen i thort id defrag the c: drive. came down this moring and a BSOD!!!! the first one ive seen on this new setup i have!

i am using adobe premeiere 6.5 and have heard that this sort of program can muck with windws memeory configuration, and i need to partition the actual program or somthing..

any ideas?!

thanks loadS!

it is defintly not the old problem coming back as i changed mboard etc, reinst win. it is defintly premiere and windows and memeory!

my problem

it started with the comp hanging when booting up, where the memory is counted from 0 up to 256 mb.

later it started hanging at the windows 2000 loading screen

and started getting blue screens

-irql_not_less_or equal

-config_initialization_failed 0X00000067

-0X0000001E

i have run memtest (no errors) just installed sp4 (didnt help).

a possible cause: a few months ago i installed some horrible media player that was bug ridden, so i uninstalled it. while uninstalling it, it asked if i wanted to delete a file that was being used, and i clicked yes before realizing it was some file from the system32/drivers folder. but after this happened it was over a month before the problems started. but now that i installed sp4 shouldnt it be fine? (sorry i dont know much about comps)

HELP!!!

specs:

amd 2600+

kingston pc 400 256 mb ddr

maxtor ata133/7200 40 GB

leadtek k7ncr18D

I too had the same problem while installing xp. My hardware config is AMD athalon 2600+, 512MB ram, M7ncg400 motherboard from biostar. After installing xp the blue screen stops, however the system randomly reboots after a blank screen.

After rebooting displays the ever present "Recovered from serious error" message of windows.

The error signature is as follows.

Error Signature:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : C69E0000 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : BF819D18

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0

Product : 256_1

After a lot of trials, tricks & research on the net the following seems to work.

1. Disable write combing in adapter setting.

2. Set FSB in bios(advanced chip setting) to 133 instead of 166.

3. Set SPD to auto in memory setting.

However one flaw of this method is both bios & OS report your processor as 2000+(1.5ghz) at 266mhz ddr instead of 2600+(1.9ghz) 333mhz ddr.

Still trying to work around the problem for a permanent solution.

Let me know if any of you succeed.

Kannan(India)

I too had the same problem while installing xp. My hardware config is AMD athalon 2600+, 512MB ram, M7ncg400 motherboard from biostar. After installing xp the blue screen stops, however the system randomly reboots after a blank screen.

After rebooting displays the ever present "Recovered from serious error" message of windows.

The error signature is as follows.

Error Signature:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : C69E0000 BCP2 : 00000001 BCP3 : BF819D18

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0

Product : 256_1

After a lot of trials, tricks & research on the net the following seems to work.

1. Disable write combing in adapter setting.

3. Set SPD to auto in memory setting.

However one flaw of this method is both bios & OS report your processor as 2000+(1.5ghz) at 266mhz ddr instead of 2600+(1.9ghz) 333mhz ddr.

Still trying to work around the problem for a permanent solution.

Let me know if any of you succeed.

Kannan(India)

Originally posted by dyuthi:

Quote:

That's because you're effectively underclocking your FSB...

The multiplier (11.5x?) is always constant, and locked unless you hardware modify the chip.

To stop getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error:

Check connection of IDE drives to the cable - master drive MUST be connected to the end of cable and slave - to the middle connector. If you have DVD writer, it should be at second IDE, and if it's not alone there it should be slave.

If your drives are connected other way - wait for IRQL_NOT...

It's a rule, it'simple, but it works!

Hi,

I'm getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when Shutting down my XPPro.Remaining all the time it's working fine.only when ever try to shut down it is prompting with this error Blue screen.

And error is STOP : 0x0000000A (0x0000FFDF,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x80703A8E).

when troubleshoot with Windbg it shows that Bad Hardware drivers but I updated all the drives with the latest one still same problem anybody knows what device causing this problem?

Originally posted by Master Of Orion:

Quote:
I have the same problem accept the fact that i have no operating system installed its when im installing Win-XP Home or Pro that i get this message, so its not that logitech mouse solution or any other that i have come accross yet

Some of the never PC's all have USB Card Readers, and some of them has a problem with it when you try to do a fresh install, you have t disable USB in the BIOS and then install XP, once installed you can enable the USB in BIOS again.

Hi! I got a similar problem.

I have>

Intel Pentium 520 (2,8GHz)

Motherboard Gigabyte 915P-Duo

512MB RAM PRINCETON 400Mhz- one DIMM

nVidia Geforce FX 6600FX (128MB)

HDD is SATA Western Digital 160GB (JD series)

got a TV-Tunner KWorld,

a Canon Pixma iP1000 printer on a USB 1.0 port

Genius Mouse optical netscroll

-Windows XP Proffesional SP2 version.

-Latest drivers for the Motherboard and Video Card.

-The Processor works at 48 degrees Celsius

-Got no cooler on North Brige but a huge Radiator, by default.

The first WinXpSP2 instalation failed. It wouldn't accept drivers... Got strange conflicts, etc. Then I reformatted, started all over in a diffrent order and now it "works" apparently fine. Then it started by reseting my computer every once in a while with no apparent reason. The restart was accompanied by a clink sound (might have been normal for the HDD). It restarted while surfing the net, or playing solitare, or just listening to winamp. No apparent reason. I assume it's the RAM. I changed the RAM slot, it fixed the only place where it constantly restarted(3dMark2001) but it starded to freeze in other strange situations.. nothing repetable. I just got my first REAL error, a blue death screen stating Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. On the following restart it crashed pretty soon with a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at a diffrent address. I'm waiting for it to crash... Could it be that the RAM is incompatible with the MotherBoard? There are no better drivers, nor much older since both the videocard and motherboard are brand new models. The BIOS version is also up to date.

I've seen this problem several times, always on home built systems, and I've corrected by replacing the power supply with higher-end unit. I recommend Antec True550. The latest hardware, especially video cards, have a high current draw, causes voltage fluctuations, and will BSOD or randomly reboot your machine at random intervals.

Don't rule out other issues, such as excessive CPU heat, or poorly timed or defective memory.

Hello,

Hello,

I have the same problem. I just buy a new laptop, Toshiba P25 and I get the blue screen, WHEN I OPEN Internet explorer, AOL, Yahoo Messenger...in fact all what is with Internet... and the laptop restart...

Here is what it tells me when I get the blue screen:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** stop: 0x0000000a (0x000000FX, 0X0000000/, 0X0000000|, 0XX0GRDX960)

This code is after the windows load and it apears the window with : windows has recovered from a serious error...SEND THIS ERROR, DON'T SEND...

BCCode : a BCP1 : 000000E8 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001

BCP4 : 806BD896 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

I don't know what to do...I have installed on the laptop Windows Media Center and all the drivers are installed from factory with the DVD Back up...

The internet conection is through an external modem cable and the lapotp is conected to the modem through an USB cable..

So every time when I open an internet explorer browser I get this error...what can I do?

Please HELP!!

Thanks!

system

Windows Media Center

P4 HT

3.00 GHZ

GF4 FX5200

HDD 80GB

Originally posted by Maast:

Quote:
To stop getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error:

Check connection of IDE drives to the cable - master drive MUST be connected to the end of cable and slave - to the middle connector. If you have DVD writer, it should be at second IDE, and if it's not alone there it should be slave.

If your drives are connected other way - wait for IRQL_NOT...

It's a rule, it'simple, but it works!

... ok, look here, mine is an IBM Intellistation with 2 disks on IDE-0, a CDRW on IDE-1(Master) and removable harddisk tray on IDE-1(Slave).

--> On this same machine Windows 98SE runs fine. so does Redhat 9.1, no problems there.

Win2000 Pro (SP4) was running fine in the past, even after I upgraded the CDROM to a CDRW (LG GCE-8160B) and installed the Genica harddisk tray. One day I boot Win2000 and bang..! 30-60 seconds after it finished booting the screen goes dark and it reboots, sometimes with the blue screen briefly visible. After checking for viruses I began suspecting some MS update (I always update all my systems!).

Time to reinstall Windows 2000..? I did and it solved nothing. Right after the last install step, after cleaning up of temp. folders, on its first restart attempt... it crashes:

Stop 0x0a (0xE26D795B,0x02,0x00,0x80415025) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Address 80415025 base at 80400000, Datestamp 3ad7ad60 - ntoskrnl.exe

- virus is extremly unlikely cause

- passed all IBM-supplied hardware diagnosics tests

- crashes with the most basic setup options and config

- apply all the latest drivers in safe mode, crashes anyway.

- without a tray (removable disk out) the BIOS reports "Disk-3: none", it crashes just the same.

BTW, the boot manager is Systems Commander. I tried installing Win2000 in partition J, booting via C: (Win98SE), as well as a "normal" setup, meaning Win2000 in partition-1 as C: and Win98SE in partition-2 as J: or un-assigned (hidden).

If I rearrange the IDEs like you recommend it creates an operational nightmare with the way Windows assigns drive letters. For instance, this variation:

IDE-0 M disk-1 (leave as is)

IDE-0 S Genica (now on IDE-1 S)

IDE-1 M disk-2 (now on IDE-0 S)

IDE-1 S CDRW (now on IDE-1 M)

Drive D:\ will be the 1st partition of whatever disk is in the Genica tray. If none, D:\ will be the 1st partition of disk-2 and all other partitions, E: F: G; ... slide up / down.

Therefore, how about this?

IDE-0 M disk-1 (leave as is)

IDE-0 S CDRW (now on IDE-1 M)

IDE-1 M disk-2 (now on IDE-0 S)

IDE-1 S Genica (leave as is)

Now, after all my experimenting and reading your advice seems the best but why is only Win2000 Pro (SP2/SP4) having a problem? Thanks in advance to anyone able and willing to help.