Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jsykes

Suse 8.2/9.1 install issue

Burned iso image onto cd's. Boots up fine, but after I select 'Installation' it loads the linux loader and then goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. This happen to both the 8.2 and 9.1 versions of Suse. Any ideas? One image is from the Novell-Linux dvd. Driving me nuts!!! I even tried the other options, ie. safe install, no acpi option, etc.

Thanks for any help.

[Edited by jsykes on 2004-07-06 19:00:16]

This is a very common problem.

Burn the iso images at a slow speed (4X or 8X) on a quality cdr media. Most of these problems occur after burning the iso at too fast a speed. Do not use the top speed of the cdrw drive.

What burning software are you using? And you are using the option to burn image, not just burning the iso to the disk, so that there is just the iso file visable on the cd? There should be several directoroes and files on the cd after the burn.

Secondly if this does not work, post what general hardware that you have on the system, paying attention to the make and model of motherboard and the video card on the system.

Thank you for that. I did burn it top speed in Nero. I will retry with the lower burn setting. Odd how the dvd disc from Novell also brought up this issue.

Thank you for your quick response!

I just order the Novell disks also! Is the image burned on the DVD, or is the iso file itself on the dvd?

What type of drive are you using for the burning, a cdrw, or dvd/cdrw burner combo?

The 8.2 version consists of iso files on dvd, but the 9.1 version has the image on dvd.

I have been using cdrw's on a cdburner, but i think I will switch over to cdr. Hoping to reuse the cd's (waste not, want not sort of thing). No combo drives here at work.

laugh

CD/DVD worked fine on another computer. Dang old Gateways. That should teach me to rummage through the junkyard.

[Edited by jsykes on 2004-07-07 14:24:24]

I think that you have the answer. I recently worked on an older Gateway and it did not want to read cdrw disks that I burned on my writer. It would read a cdr disk, as long as I finalized the disk after the burn...well sometimes. The issue is whether the cdrom drive was made to recognize the format of burned cd disks that are not burned professionally. Try the slower speed on one cdr - I would not waste much effort on burning too many, as they may not work on the old system.

I think that you have the answer. I recently worked on an older Gateway and it did not want to read cdrw disks that I burned on my writer. It would read a cdr disk, as long as I finalized the disk after the burn...well sometimes. The issue is whether the cdrom drive was made to recognize the format of burned cd disks that are not burned professionally. Try the slower speed on one cdr - I would not waste much effort on burning too many, as they may not work on the old system.

Very true Danleff. Older gateway did not work. E3400 models (both tower and desktop) would not accept any type of burned cd's or dvd from Novell. Newer models worked without issues.

Installed SUSE 9.1 and Groupwise 6.5 and it works great! Thank you for your help. Much appreciated in times of stress and confusion.

Best of luck to you all.

8)