Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dizarludba

CoronaWmiLogFile ? Spyware ? Help ....

Hi

Yesterday I caught a file named CoronaWmiLogFile reside in my C: directory . I become suspicious since i never met this file before ( before this i formatted my pc several times ) . I try to delete it but it can't . I search the internet through google and msn search but found several websites where most of them aren't in english . I just found one in english and its www.sharkyforums.com , but in that forum there is no solution for it . It seems like the final answer by formatting the pc . I am tired of formatting my pc , perhaps there are other solutions avaiable .

Btw , I just curious , when we try to delete certain files and it said that 'file can't be deleted , use by other program or files ' or something like that , is there any chances we can delete it by changing certain setting ? permission ? or is there any possibilties that we can view which application or file using it .

Thanks very much . As it seems in previous threats , i hate any spyware@adware@trojans in my pc . Thanks again

Dizarludba

And i forgot to mention , I use Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004 , and I use both Lavasoft Ad-aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy to detect spyware , but all of them did'nt recognise the CoronaWmiLogFile files . Thanks again .

I looked all over the place and could not find either Spyware or a Trojan that fits that designation. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist; I just couldn't find it. I don't know if this will help, but WMI is a scripting component for API's and .NET and Corona was the code name for the streaming technology for WMP 9.0. My guess is that this is the log that contains the error of why WMP was unable to stream some sort of video you requested. This is only a guess.

You asked how to delete it. I know that there are elegant ways, but the "frustatrated I am going to delete you way is": be sure you know where the file is.

1) Run a dos window; make sure it doesn't cover the whole screen. Then, 2) click on to the desktop. 3) Bring up Windows Task Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC). Click on Explorer.exe. Then, click on End Process button. (I know it will mess everything up on the desktop, but ignore it. 4)Click into your Dos window. If the file is in the root directory as you indicate type cd\. Make sure that it is there by typing dir Coro*.* . 5) Then del coronawmilogfile. If it's gone, type exit and hit return. Back at the desktop, you can Run explorer.exe or Reboot. This is probably not the best way to delete a file when the system says that some other process is using it, but when you're frustrated enough you'll try anything.

Thanks .

I sent thhe file to the Panda S.O.S team , and they said it contained no virus , but can't say about adware/spyware . Mmm I will try to use the DOS to delete it soon .

About the WMP , it seems like the WMP is still working , and as I remember there is no indication about can't stream certain files in WMP . Btw hanks for the guess and guide smile

And believe it or not , everyday before shut down the pc , when I run the adware and Spybot , there are more than 50 cookies and cached file detected as spyware/adware . I meant everyday . When will all those mess will gone from the earth . Mmm sorry , just nowhere to complain .

Cookies are a whole other headache. You can install SpywareBlaster (free) and it will stop a number of Spyware cookies. There are two programs (both shareware) that allow you to control what cookies are admitted to your system: CookiePal and CookieCrusher. You can write rules for both or you can eliminate them adhoc. They work entirely differently, but they work. CookiePal uses less resources and tells you what the cookie is that wants to be planted on your system. It works with IE and Mozilla, but you have to configure derivative browsers for them to work. CookieCrusher requires .Net to be installed on your machine. It will tell you what kind of cookie it is and is therefore a lot more informative, which means it is a lot more of a headache when things go wrong. For example, when installed it will use Proxy settings and if you already have a proxy setup, you will have to go a few steps to fix them. They both run in memory. Once you have eliminated certain cookies, you needn't bother with them again.

hey, i was currently running windows media player 10 series. i got it off of suprnova.org (love that site) smile i had the same porblem with coronawmilogfile. i couldn't delete it and it was pissing me off. i am very picky about things like that. i uninstalled 10 series and reinstalled 9. after that the file deleted no problem. this file is definately a part of windows media player so you have nothing to worry about. i'm not sure exactly what it is for. i can tell you that corona is a name for the buffering process that wmp uses. wmi is a scripting process used by windows. try to uninstall and reinstall windows media player. if the file is still there after trying to delete... well then just sit tight, it's not a virus or spyware.