Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blackpage

ATI drivers and kernel 2.6.7

Greetings

I just had some sort of odd experience while trying to get ATI's 3.7.0-drivers to work under kernel 2.6.7. Here are the bothersome and significant lines that "/lib/modules/fglrx/make.sh" produce ...

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c: In function `agp_generic_alloc_page':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:1405: structure has no member named `count'

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c: In function `ali_alloc_page':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:4416: structure has no member named `count'

Looks like the 3.7-driver doesn't go too well with kernel version 2.6.7. I went back to the standard setup afterwards (ATI3.7 under kernel2.6.5) which works like a dream.

If any of you guys/girls are just as curious as me as it goes for kernel-testing then you might want to check out this link that is said to solve the driver-issue ...

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3298

Be informed, though, that I hadn't have the time yet to verify the patch featured on this page. Also, as soon as time will allow, I will check the new kernel against the nVidia-drivers on some other boxes. Til then ..

have a luverly day and weekend

Wish I could help. The Nvidia cards seem to work well with the new kernel, but we're having problems with 3-D and opengl support with X.org. Is your distro using X.org instead of XFree86? I'm sure we'll all get everything sorted out shortly.

Thanx DepperDan,

fortunately I was only peeking into the whole thing (ATI+k2.6.7) out of curiosity and to find out if there might be any probs with those drivers/kernel versions in case a system-upgrade is immiment. So these incompatabilities do not bother me too much at the moment, especially as the standard setup (ATI3.7+k2.6.5) works perfectly.

As far as it goes for the fundamental windowing server: The test-boxes used were running under Mandrake 10 and Suse 9 (see detailed specs below) which both came with the XFree-server (recent Suse already comes with X.Org, me thinks).

But another box for XOrg-testing is already set up, so - even if it sounds peculiar - I'm sort of "hoping" and expecting to encounter some problems that can be solved in some joint effort smile After all, XFree will be history in many future distros and so it's a good idea to peek into XOrg right away.

by

specs/test machines:

basic: AMD Athlon XP 2800, Asus A7N8X (box 1), Asus A7V600, VIA chipset with GBit-LAN (box 2), 512MB RAM, DAC960 SCSI-RAID, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, Radeon 9600pro (box 1), Geforce 4MX (box 2)

storage subsystem: 4xSeagate SCSI 10k (30gig) drives as RAID 0+1 array as boot/system drive, Seagate 120GB IDE (data storage)

operating systems:

box 1 - Mandrake 10 Community running kernel 2.6.5 and KDE 3.2.2

box 2 - Suse 9 running kernel 2.6.5 and KDE 3.x (dunno exactly)