Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bergeyk

USB Compatibilty Problems on 8IEXP Motherboard

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

I have updated the USB drivers to latest available and updated the Bios for the Mb to f9. My problem is that whenever I plug in a USB key (256 MB USB 2.0)the computer freezes completely. It does not matter which USB ports I try, front rear or the ones on the board itself. When I use a 1.1 key no problems and none of the other USB peripherals (Printer, Mouse, Scanner, Digital Camera) cause any issue. I have tried three different keys and have tried these also on other machines. No problems were encountered except on my machine.

Mb: GA-8IEXP

CPU: 2.26MHz

RAM: 756 Mb

We had a problem similar to this when we designated drive letters for different computers on the network. For whatever reason the Gigabyte computer wanted to designate the first letter after the last hardware device as to where it could be found. The CD was drive letter D:\ so the Key wanted to be E:\ but E:\ designated a computer on the network. The key would not work. To fix it, we simply pushed all of the drives up one so that the key could always use E:\ and we have had no problems since.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunatly this does not seem to be the problem.

I have HDD as C:

CD-Rom as D:

DVD burner as E:

Networked throug a router with cable modem.

Our setup is similar to yours. Because we were using older software on some Win98 machines where certain subdirectories had to be designated as drive letters is how we found the anomalie. Normally, when you plug in the disk onkey device, it would grab the last drive letter not yet assigned. In this example, it should have mapped itself to L:\. But, the Gigabyte machine wanted to grab the first drive letter after the last drive on its own hardware. In your case, this would be drive letter F:\. However, drive letter F:\ was already designated for another computer on the network.

If you isolate the Gigabyte machine by removing it from the network (and rebooting it so that it clears any drive devices not found) so that it becomes a standalone machine and plug the disk onkey device in, does it still freeze on you? Or does it work recognize the device as a drive?

Alas still no joy. The other machine on the network also has a gigabyte MB and does not have the problems. I have also tried to remove all USB devices from the machine but again...... Asking gigabyte did not get any response and the manufacturer of the key did offer some suggestions (which did not help. As I said it is not the key that is faulty but the combination of the MB and the USB 2 drivers from Microsoft. If I rebuild the machine and not update the drivers the key works fine. But as soon as I aske for the hardware to find the "best" driver and the Controller is updated to "Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host COntroller -24D" that it is t.

That particular motherboard might use NEC's USB drivers. In any case, (and you probably have done this), this page will take you to Microsoft's driver support page: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/USB/default.mspx . Since Gigabyte defers to Microsoft's implementation for 2.0. Would have liked to have helped more. As I said, I recall there being a difficulty between Microsoft and NEC over 2.0 but that was some time ago.

I am having the exact same problems with my 8iexp Gigabyte motherboard. As long as the USB2 Enhanced drivers are not explicitly turned off, any USB2 device will lock the system. I have gone so far as to rebuild my machine and flash the motherboard to the newest bios (I believe it is 9F). The only thing that works is if I manually shut off the usb2 driver (thereby enabling everything to run under USB1.1). Obviously this solution is not to by chagrin. If anyone has any work arounds I would be most appreciative.

Have you gone into Hardware device manager and looked at the USB controller to see if there was a conflict, or, updated the driver through it?

I have already checked for conflicts, and there are not any. I have taken all the usb devices out, except for the one usb 2.0 device that I own (rio karma), and it still locks the computer. It is using the newest usb 2.0 driver (Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24 CD). As long as this driver is manually disabled, all the usb devices work (at 1.1 speed). If it is re-enabled, all the usb 1.1 devices work, but the usb 2.0 device locks the computer...

Did you make sure that the suspend functionality for power management was not checked. Sometimes USB Root Hubs default to this being on. But it can cause a device that does not have that functionality to cause the computer to seize. This is found under Properties of the USB root Hub Power Management tab.

Under the properties of the USB Root Hub->Power Management, the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” box is checked. Are you saying to uncheck this?

Tried al of the above and unfortunatly no luck.

Tried my luck with the support on the gigabyte site...

however the saying "ashtray on a motobike" indicates the usefullness there.

Either other devices are drawing so much power that when you insert the key, it tips the power output over the edge or the USB device input could be bad.

What is the IRQ setting for the Enhanced 2.0 USB? Generally, (and I don't know why) the Video card seems to share an IRQ with the USB controller, but the Enhanced 2.0 should be on its own IRQ.

I am the owner of a GA-8IEXP 1.2 motherboard running an Intel 4, 2.0 mhz processor. I have 512mb ram. I have 3 hard drives 1 dvdrw and 1 dvd rom connected to 3 of the 4 IDE slots.

3 months ago I had 1 hard drive and 1 dvd rom and 1 cd-r drive. My USB 2.0 Ipod plugged in with no problems.

I read the posting about "not enough power" which could be a consideration.

I did notice a change with my logitech wireless usb mouse, when I used the mouse port dongle and plugged it into the regular mouse port. The computer didn't freeze up.

I also downloaded the the motherboard F9 bios onto floppy and replaced the bios (f9) just to make sure. that helped where now my ipod doesn't freeze the system. Instead I get a message that says something to the effect of "usb has malfunctioned while installation please reinstall device."

I can't get my ipod to show up but there is some wierdness with the USB. It seems very picky.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Turns out that my IPOD has to be plugged into the power source while it's being reset to the factory settings in order to power up the ipod. The WINXP couldn't understand what the Ipod was doing so it wouldn't allow the 2.0 USB to work properly. The Apple support guy said they are up[censored] this information on their website soon. I'm happy again smile Good luck with your Rio! P.S. I also updated the intel utility application. that seemed to help out a bit with all the drives.

I have exactly the same problem with same mb (rev 2.0) .

anything that is usb2.0 freeze my pc

bios updated

chipset updated

still not working