Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
suearbmah

How to configure java in konqueror?

Java in konqueror

I am fed up with all problems in windows and I have started my change to linux. But in sweden every company is totally microsoft influenced which means that I got huge problems for each step.

Right now I am stuck because my bank and other services I need to use through internet only can be handled with ie 6.0 and their java.

1) When I use konqueror the website will not work as it should - often som input fields are missing. In the preferences for ie 6.0 it says: Java JIT-compiler active. Is that the problem?

2) And if so: how can one get Konqueror handle that?

3) I have heard there are 2 different javas that are in conflict, and sometimes needs to change manually between the two. How is that done?

(I know one can install ie 6.0 through wine but I like konqueror more and I want to get rid of all MS in my box)

Java must be configured differently with the Konqueror web browser than Mozilla or Galeon.

Download sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin ( Linux (.bin) ) from the sun java website.

cd to the directory where you downloaded it, and as root go:

./sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin [enter]

Follow the on screen instructions. When it asks where to install, install it to /opt

After installing java, open your konqueror web browser, go to "Settings" - "Configure konqueror."

Look in the left pane to see, "Java & JavaScript and open it. Down at the bottom where it says, "Path to java executable or 'java': point it to..

/opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java

Close konqueror, re-open and check java by going to this site to make sure it's working..

If the clouds are moving, java is working.

Good Luck.

Edit: Hmm. it would appear that sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin is no longer available at the sun web site. See if you can find it somewhere else on the Internet. If you can't, you'll have to use the java .rpm. I don't know where the .rpm will install itself, but if you have to use it, it's just a matter of editing location and versions. You should still be in business.

Me again. I can't find that .bin file anywhere. I can shoot it to you via Yahoo! Messenger if you have it. Let me know.. smile

Thanks.

I managed to find a neat little package on sun when I used Altavista and searched for the file You mentioned. It was an installation description but from it I could get further to latest edition: sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

(From http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html )

I started to download it (90.69 Mb) but my modem haven't yet manage to handle it. Is the file You mention as large as this one? (I don't have Yahoo)

And my second question: In the configuration meny on konqueror Java is activated and the executable points to /usr/lib/java2/bin/java

I still don't understand this with java. Some people say there exists two different java but most programs just mention "java supported". Is the giant file more compatible with the JIT-java in ie6.0?

Yes, that file is really big as it has netbeans in it too. It's just far easier to install for new users. If you install a j2re rpm, post here where it was installed, and we should be able to get your java plugins working..

I give it a new try then, to download. I mean: what is 12 hours out of a year? I hope noone try to use the phone...

But it can be worth it. My first downloads were done with a 1.2k modem and if I could get files of 2Mb then it should be possible to get 90 Mb with 31K modems.

It took >24h but now I maged to get it through another computer. i will test Your instructions tonight when I get home and see what happens.

well, as a matter of fact you can help me.

I've installed the java (it was self extraction to /usr/lib/SunJava2-1.4/jre/bin when I started the install program)

Then I have tried to redirect in konqueror to that directory and the file Java (There are a few different files here:

java, java_vm, keytool, kinit, klist, ktab, orbd, policytool, rmid, rmiregistry, servertool, tnameserv)

Still the browser will not handle the code I want it to.

One typical swedish page with this slight problem is found in https://www.e-recept.nu It should have two input fileds in it but without the java in ie6.0 the page is shown without these fields and then you can't get further. Of course no support is given for anything except ie6.0 from their webmaster...

Give me a link to the file you downloaded, and I'll play with it some to see if I can get it working.

I downloaded it from the first link. The second seems to be broken. I got it up and running in about 2 minutes, so this should be easy.

Download: j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin from java.sun.com

'cd' to the directory where you downloaded it, and as root do:

chmod 777 j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

then:

./j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

The installer will come up. Follow the directions. Let the installer install to:

/opt/j2sdk-1_4_2_04

After installation, open konqueror and go to Settings-Configure Konqueror, then in the left pane click Java & JavaScript. At the bottom where is says "path to Java executable, or 'java':"

Tell it to use:

/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java

Go here to check.

Done! smile

Well, I did this except I made chmode through kde

But when i cd into the directory and start the file I get a message upp to press 1 to continue and then I get the prompt again. No more questions. No option of where to install.

I found nearly the same java (just 1_4_2) was included in the dist so I installed that too with Yast.

I find the directories with the files, I redirect the linc in Konqueror. Unfortunately I cant check the page you said probably becaouse of my slow connection. I will not get all parts of it.

I would like to ask you: Do you get the input fields on this page: https://www.e-recept.nu when using Konqueror and java?

Should be two inputfields on the left side of page in the same row and one button to the right of them. I get them with ie6.0 but not with K.

Is this what it supposed to look like?

sigma.jpg

Sounds like you may have downloaded another version. It should have had a gui install that asked questions.

I was afraid of this.

That means there is something in that java that doesn't work the same as in ie6.0 still.

It should look like this:

http://home.swipnet.se/armsjolandet/sigma.jpg

You see the input fields that are missing? Don´t ask me why this happens but please help me to get through this.

If possible. (In Sweden a lot of webpages end up in this way and they refuse to give support for anything else than ie6.0)

That's pretty scary. I wonder what all I've been missing when I view pages with java! I'll have to look into this some more..

On second thought, this may not be konqueror with java's fault at all.

I was talking with a guy just last week who was telling me that Webmasters at many sites are just too damn lazy to make their pages work with anything other than IE.

They figure that since 90 percent of users use IE, they'll make their pages work with that and not worry with making it work with any other browser regardless of operating system.

If their page will not work with any other browser than IE as they state, then I'm afraid they're just being lazy..

If you just have to use IE, then you could run it using Crossover office. I've tried it that way, and it works pretty damn good.

Yes, I've tried that too and it works pretty well.

It's just that i dont like to have to use ie. I would like to get rid of it...

And I don't understand what code they are using to be able to only get ie work and nothing else? It would be nice if anyone could show me what plug-in program to use in order to make these web-pages to work in konqueror...

About laziness among webmasters i agree on that. It's just that in sweden there are all too many webmasters that both are lazy and that believe that Windows and ie is the only thing that exists.

;(

I really don't think anything you can do will make konqueror work if they're only programing to suite IE. That means their site won't work with Opera or Netscape or with any of the Linux browsers. Terribly short sighted and lazy of them.

I agree. I'd rather eat worms than use IE, but the saving grace is that you are using it under Linux!

Think of it this way: You are making IE work for you on your terms, not Microsoft's! wink