Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HawkBoy

Which one is more important? Better Vid card or better Proc?

Hi,

I'm going to buy a notebook soon and, from my research, I will either buy a Dell Inspiron 5150 or 8600. The only major difference between the systems (after some customizing) will be that the 5150 will have a 2.8GHz proc and a 64MB GForce FX Go and the 6800 will have a 1.6GHz proc and a 128MB Radeon 9600 pro.

While gaming is not a *MAJOR* focus for me, I am waiting to play some games that will be released soon (PoP2, Sims2, . . .) and I will be doing some 3D work (3Ds MAX, maybe Maya if I have time to learn it).

I'm pretty sure the 2.8GHz does offset the better vid card, but am also worried that the slower vid card might create too big of a bottle neck to recover from.

Can anyone help? Or send me to a site that has done a similar benchmark?

Thanks

only from personal experience

i have a dual xeon with and old geforce 4200 and i have no probs setting wolf to 120 fps and having it stay (1024x768)

and the cool thing about a dually is that if it starts a virus scan or i forget to shut off the video encoder while im playing i dont even notice.

go for the better video card, the CPU cannot offset a better GFX card, ever, a good GFX card has too many advanatges....