Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

what the hell happened to this forum

Just want to add my lil bit in smile

I like the people here- they are great. You can post without getting flamed. You can get good solid responses to problems... and usually all of the many ways to skin a cat.

I see that some changes are on the cards. I'd like to maybe list a few little enhancements that would really make me happy (user cap on!).

It's really hard to find an 'old' post. By old I dont mean years old- just maybe a week or so. The recent forum topics thing is good however if the topic isnt in that then the search yields no results even when I put in the correct criteria. By correct I mean me folloiwng the syntax that is there underneath the search textbox.

So I guess maybe a better search would be good- or stick to using Google only?

I dont think anyone uses the 'Mark as Solution' button? I never have (I think Im scared of it!).. maybe a bit more awareness could be a good thing. In fact I'm gonna click the FAQ link and see.....well ok its an OS FAQ. Is there a forum guide anywhere??

One thing that I have seen generate ALOT of traffic (as in number of posts) is a points/league table. If you post the solution and the originator marks it as a solution u get points.

This site gets lots of new users- and seems to be picked up in the search engines really well. So it's not an attraction problem it is more of a frequency of postings problem.

Maybe this is down to a general slow down..... XP is kinda old hat as nearly all problems have been sorted out- I mean solutions posted ont he net. Windows Server 2003 posts are increasing however theres 2 probs with that- not many people have it and also not many people have used it. Of course most people are on XP, 2000... the desktop platforms. The only other traffic generators are new games (grrr@Sims 2!;)). So maybe we are in need of some more desktop OS excitement!!

Originally posted by thatsteveguy:

Quote:
"KER PLONK"

sorry could not resist... sure you will get it if you remember the game....

s

Now you're really starting to show your age... wink

AndyF

Just a couple of quick comments to make ya smile.

Quote:
Originally posted by ds3circuit:

Firstly, the caliber of people that participate here are not the typical script kiddies who just got their dell cause their father maxed out the credit card.

LOL! Ya meenie... hey, we all gotta start someplace!

Good glad someone got a laugh out of that.

Quote:
True! That's part of what Clutch & me got into it over... lol, he quoted me & changed my nick from "AlecStaar" to "Blabbertron" & that PISSED ME OFF, lol! So, I fired back... but, no names from me, just said basically "Hey, man, why the names...? It's your standing here, not mine!"

LMFAO!! That Alex made my night. Thank you for sharing what the "plonks" were all about. I had an insane day with the HelpDesk being "slower" then usual. wink That statement made me choke on a chips a hoy lol

I agree about the search function, though as you said, google has done quite well in indexing this site. Hey those novels you write maybe the next Dilbert 8) Ya never know

Quote:
Originally posted by ds3circuit:
I had an insane day with the HelpDesk being "slower" then usual.

Well, here's one for you - Thank goodness for it being busy, gets you paid! And, a 100 years from now? Who's going to care!

(LOL, hope I am right on the latter statement! You never know!)

haha, unfortunately i didnt mean slow as in lack of calls. I meant slow as in the field techs forgetting how to build mailboxes, to run ad-aware, to looking at event logs. As if they all rode the lil yellow bus to work that day ;-). I am of not poking fun at those who do this as a living. I myself still do it when a "forklift" operation occurs within our IT department.

In the end, I suppose I only have myself to blame since I didnt build a bulletproof environment and then fully train those techs to support that environment ........ nah lol 8)

Well I am impressed the clutch got his MVP in directory services. I see those guys floating about on the net and their knowledge of said MS products is profound.

Put me down for NOT liking the layout!

1. Too much space is wasted in the forum name on the home page with the first and last poster. Not enough space for the title and first line. It's hard to read.

2. As other posted, there is a huge drop in responses from the old format. I use to post here all the time. Now I have dropped it and this is the first post for over a year or more.

This use to be one of my favorites, now it dropped to the bottom of the list................ ;(

P.S. Just how do you delete a PM?